73' I.A.C.C. Sloop conversion to Charter pleasure craft

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by OneIjim, Jun 5, 2006.

1. OneIjim

OneIjim New Member

73' I.A.C.C. Sloop is a racing boat???

Does anybody know if it is feasable to convert this kind of vessel to a pleasure craft? Has it been done? Where can I get info on this type vessel?
    Any leads would be appreciated.

Thank You

oneIjim

2. Windvang

Windvang Yacht Designer

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

Big problem would be the weight of the outfit...they sit thier lines stripped so any weight will put them down to far on thier lines. Also, the shell is very thin with loads carried by an internal space frame....not very conducive for arrangements. And that along with the depth of the hull and the size of the cockpit just about eliminate any usable space below aft of the mast.

An old IACC boat, or any non-competitive extreme racing craft, is just something to to be stripped of hardware and discarded. Been that way for the last 150 years, just that the modern FG/CF hulls can't be burned for the fastenings like the wood ones or scrapped for the metal like the Al ones.

4. OneIjim

OneIjim New Member

My first reply on this site, please accept my apologies in advance for any snafu's!
    The bouancy issue appears to be insurmountable. As to the multiplicity of bulkheads or frames; could they not be reduced in number by adding an inner layer to the hull and adding fewer but stiffer bulk heads? OK so it will float lower with the added wieght!
    If anyone wants to get rid of one perhaps it might be suitable for a SeaScout ship. Someone in BC is selling one for $50k.
    Thank you for the heads-up, I think I'll invest in a bare hull of a conventional design.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.