Connecting electric motor to saildrive

Discussion in 'Electric Propulsion' started by andysailor, Jun 18, 2017.

1. andysailor

andysailor Junior Member

I´m planning to replace the diesel engine with an electric motor at around 12-20kw. It will be powered by a 20kwh LifePo4 bank.

At the moment I´m thinking of connecting the electric motor to the current saildrive. It should work.
    Would it be best to direct mount it, or would it be better off to drive it with a belt or chain?

If direct mounted, any particular coupler you would suggest?

2. Caroute Motor

Caroute Motor Junior Member

We only have 3KW outboard. For bigger, you can consider elco or torqeedo.

3. andysailor

andysailor Junior Member

I'm planning a project to connect a BLDC/PMAC motor to the current saildrive. I´m more asking about the coupler between motor and saildrive.

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

To mount your electric motor directly you must imitate the present construction. A large flange similar to the flywheel so you can mount a coupler there. Of course it can be much lighter, made from alloy.
    I would not use a chain or belt drive because that would put a radial load on the saildrive shaft.

5. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Senior Member

Maybe put a bearing in the new flange?

Barry likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.