Taking off and landing

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Marvout, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Marvout

Marvout Junior Member

Between 0:45 and 1:22 of this video, it shows racing tri's going airborne and landing back in the water. I realize these are race boats, but the sea conditions don't seem all that exceptional. How normal is it for the F22/F24/Bucc24/Scarab22... (smaller less race and more cruise) boats to experience this same of 'jumping' out of the water and landing again. I had imagined sailing stresses on a hull, waves under/over/beside the boat, wind pressures and such, but I had not imagined a boat needing to survive a 3', 4', 5' drop onto the water.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8400359543949966898#

Marvin

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Those are high speed boats going over good sized waves-seems entirely to be expected. Too bad Catri showed "normal" tris in much heavier seas compared to what they showed their boat sailing in.

3. NiklasL

NiklasL Student member

The Catri is not sailing in big waves, rather fairly flat water. In bigger waves (same wind strengths) it would too suffer the jumping and diving syndrome.

4. s v ugly sister

s v ugly sister Junior Member

Orma 60 = Normal ??

The ORMA 60's shown in the video are definitly not "NORMAL" trimarans - capable of 40+ knots - and seriously overdriven aparent wind racing machines - they can be dangerous to sail even by their expert crews of 11-13who fully realise the consequences of pushing their beast right up to the ragged edge & no further - the nosedives/submarining & flips have been managed even in round the buoys races by underestimating that ragged edge for existing conditions - perhaps some of the Trimaran Designers who frequent this forum can shed some light on "THE ZONE OF DEATH" concept as it applies to ORMA 60 nosedives/submarining & flips - you can't really compare the 24' Catri to a 60' ORMA . Dale in Miami S.V. VOODOO SCIENCE

5. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

This video is an attempt to misinform people.

The "normal" trimarans are in fact hardcore racing machines being piloted to the edge of disaster in rough conditions.

The Catri is out for a leisurely sail in the video. T

This video is an attempt to show the Catri is somehow better at handling rough conditions than the "normal" (hardcore racing machines) trimarans. The problem is, the Catri is tested in calm waters at lower speeds than the "normal" racing trimarans.

In general, you shouldn't even view this video twice. It's an attempt to mislead.

The mistake made by the sailors of the "normal" trimarans was simply that they didn't slow down when conditions warranted it. It has nothing to do with the "normal" boats being somehow inferior to the Catri. In fact, I'd prefer to be given one of the "normal" trimarans over a Catri any time.

6. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

I agree the message presented in that was a joke. I hope it is just a Catri owner bragging about his boat. I doubt Catri would spout such garbage.

No one considering buying a high performance tri would be so uninformed to think a Catri tri would somehow be less prone to "pitchpooling" and capsizing than a ORMA 60 foot tri when sailing at 30K in 5M waves and gale force wind.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.