Wakeboard Boat Listing Challenges

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Double T, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Double T

Double T New Member

Hello Group:

I'm new to this forum. I have a new 22' wakeboard boat and am experiencing both listing and pull problems to starboard while underway. Both are more noticeable as acceleration increases. I've been receiving highly suspect answers to my various questions from the dealer.

The boat has no listing problem sitting still in the water. The dealer first shaved a bit of gel coat on hull bottom, back port side: no change. Then he added gel coat to back starboard of hull bottom and shaved the rudder a lot. This took out almost all of the listing problem and 90% of starboard pull but still present from 35 mph and greater. Now if you pull off on the throttle quickly, the boat will turn quickly to port. It feels like the boat is fighting right to left, almost like the sensation in a small aircraft.

Dealer is telling me that he can't take out the rest of this pull by shaving the rudder any further, and the new pull to port as you deaccelerate is simply normal inboard boat movement; just as the original pull to starboard is characteristic of inboards. I've owned 3 other inboards, wood and glass, and have never experienced any of these challenges before.

The hull is covered under a warranty that if there is any stuctural problems that can't be fixed, boat is replaced. Any comments to help a guy who flunked Physics would be appreciated!

Terry

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.