converting I/O to V-drive

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by captainstogie, Aug 4, 2004.

1. captainstogie

captainstogie Junior Member

I recently posted a thread for converting i/o to outboard. I also want to look at converting i/o to v-drive. Any thoughts? All help is greatly appreciated as I learn from everyting that is input.

2. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

This would be fairly difficult and more expensive than the transom bracket. The engine would have to sit fairly high to allow room for the shaft. You'd have to redo the engine beds, move the engine foreward, you'd have to glass in a shaft log, install a shaft seal, strut and cutlass bearing, a rudder and rudder port, install a through hull water intake, seacock, strainer, and hoses, and through transom exhaust, hoses, and mufflers. As you can see, quite a bit more involved than hanging an outboard.

3. woodboat

woodboat Senior Member

What is the size of the craft? Weight? expected speed? In a larger boat the increased torque available from a big V8 and a Vdrive may be worth the extra hassle over an outboard.

4. woodboat

woodboat Senior Member

Found the other thread. 28 ft rinker? Probably would do outboards. Maybe twins for more torque but the size is still small enough where outboards will have enough power.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.