project pics

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by Rick76, May 11, 2010.

1. Rick76

Rick76 Junior Member

Heres a look at what I have to work with...
    Loved the lines on her.

Attached Files:

2. idpnd

idpnd Junior Member

Pretty! And a lot of work too ;)

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

Yeah,

...the lines are nice.

Are they worth the effort?
    Common knowledge tells us, that a similar boat in perfect condition is cheaper than a restoration.

Regards
    Richard

4. mark775

mark775 Guest

I also like this boat. What is it? What are the two things that look like stands sitting in the port side? What is the thing up front - a tank? Is it mounted there? If so, I would remount to not have those hard spots where it touches the hull. Richard's correct, of course, but I understand projects like this, as I have done many. Almost invariably, the owner doesn't like the way the bills add up and cheats me the last payment - their way of getting even for what they believe to be too many hours! Good luck and consider going for strong and serviceable rather than like OEM or better. Pictures of progress!..

5. matt H.

matt H. Junior Member

save a boat... and do something possibly learn something
    or
    kick back , and pay for something ,and vast your self in someone elses
    work and ideas

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Sounds all nice.................

from a armchair position!

Save a mass product? For what?

And have you built / rebuilt your car too? Or do you: vast your self in someone elses work and ideas?:idea:

I have done so many restorations on vessels up to 2000 tonnes, if I would look for a recreational craft, I would´nt even think about restoring.

Regards
    Richard

7. matt H.

matt H. Junior Member

try to vast my self in my own work . but sometimes someone comes along who has never had the great opportunity of vasting in there own work and or ideas and takes mine ...

I like the circle of giving is receiving. I try to stay clear of the taking is giving loop

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Swivel chair bases.

The tank is up front to counter the weight of the inboard.

I would throw the inboard out :D and have one or two outboards instead. It will save a lot of interior space and weight. Can be a nice boat, if you put in the elbow grease there.

9. Rick76

Rick76 Junior Member

Hi ya all,
    Well the hull came as part of a bundle.
    I paid 4k for 2 hulls...(one 18ft ply with hull rot) it has a RD28 nissan diesel and an Alpha 1 mercruiser sternleg, (just sold for 1k) and a good tandem trailer.
    The Chev is now a brand spankers (500 miles) and is being totally rebuilt.
    Its going to be mid mounted.
    The sternleg (volvo penta 28T) is being serviced by the penta boys and they recon its like its just been unwrapped... Lucky again...
    With the bundle came 3 stainless tanks. 100, 150, 300 ltrs.
    The little tank you see in the picture is another that a friend has donated.
    I'm trimming the lip and its going in the front as a h20 tank. its 100ltr.
    It will be set up primarily as ballast with a reverse flow pump from the livey tanks in case we need to keep the nose down. (big fish on the back)
    The shelves in the front are coming out...
    I'm stripping the hull right back and using sandwiched ply and foam wrapped in fiberglass as the new hull supports.
    I'm going to use the top of the spare boat as the basis for a male mold for the new top deck and cabin.
    I'm selling the diesel and trailer to pay for the epoxy and ply.
    We are serious fishermen here and I'm building this puppy to chase marlin...
    So I'm aiming for a strong, quick and reliable boat.
    Its going to be a good project.
    Oh and I've rebuilt cars, vans, trucks and houses.... This is the first boat...
    Any ideas on glass?? I am wondering at the pros and cons of using Automotive glass...??

Richard...

10. Rick76

Rick76 Junior Member

Oh and I want the inboard so I can free up the transom area for game fishing...
    At 300bhp it should give me more than enough push to get out and about in the blue water ....

Richard...

11. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

At least you got the fishing part right :D

I would still suggest the outboards, best power to weight ratio, better economy and they will free more space for fighting fish than the inboard. It's nothing to fish over them.

Also if you trawl for ie tunny you trawl with one motor up and one down, where the surface foam of the up motor stops is where you get them on lures.

You also have the option to use one motor only and you have a backup in case one fails. Better check what your requlations are, unless you take a sail with the inboard.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.