Fairing in Rhino

Discussion in 'Software' started by shu, Nov 9, 2003.

1. shu

shu Junior Member

I am trying out the Rhino demo. I thought some of you who think Rhino is the greatest thing since spilled milk could help me:

1. There seems to be no way to control how a curve is faired; only the amount of fairing that is globally applied to the curve. How can I fix certain points (other than the end points) and fair the rest of the curve around them?

2. Can you fair a surface? It seems you must fair individual curves, then loft a surface over them.

3. Can you manipulate individual points on a surface similar to the method used for ProSurf?

4. Is there a cheap (free) tutorial or guide to using Rhino for designing and fairing boat hulls? The Rhino site lists a tutorial (for US$75), but I don't want to pay that much just to figure out if I like the program.

Thanks in advance.
    -Steve

2. Guest

Guest Guest

If i undesrtood correctly your question #1....Yes there is a way to control each of the vertexes that controls the nurb surface, simple as pick the point and....Drag it, specify a distance to be move and "fine tune movement" of such points eg. steps in 1mm each time you move the point

and you can have your curve or surface curvature with a porcupine faring tool that shows the curvature along such curve or surface.

#2 yes you can.....how fair?.....who knows!, depends on your expierence and how you learn to apreciate the fairness in a curve or surface.

Shu Wrote
    " It seems you must fair individual curves, then loft a surface over them."

Yes and no, you may be able to fair directly a surface by moving and draging vertex points, or create, as you said it, a serie of lines and loft trough them.

Shu Wrote
    "3. Can you manipulate individual points on a surface similar to the method used for ProSurf?"

not in a nurb surface...not locally as prosurf. (Tip..Not a big Deal)

4. Is there a cheap (free) tutorial or guide to using Rhino for designing and fairing boat hulls? The Rhino site lists a tutorial (for US$75), but I don't want to pay that much just to figure out if I like the program.

I haven't look at the one on rhino i learned by myself, but the trick that works for me is model the hull in prosurf and tweak the surfaces if i need to, on rhino.

there is a mini tutorial with an excellent step by step on a round hull here in the forum, look for it, and try to have a look at the comments and posts located here in the softwar eforum about hull design and fairing software.

good luck

3. shu

shu Junior Member

Thanks, Guest for the pointers, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I haven't been able to find the "mini-tutorial" on this site. If anybody knows where that is, please let me know. I have been able to gleen some info from various other posts regarding Rhino though.

Can Rhino (without add-ons) calculate volume, surface area, moments of inertia, etc.?
    -shu

4. Guest

Guest Guest

yes, solid or surface, and for the tutorial keep looking its here somewhere at the posts maybe someone remember where is located.

5. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

6. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

Re
    there is a mini tutorial with an excellent step by step on a round hull here in the forum

Thanks Guest... Glad you liked it!

Paul

7. shu

shu Junior Member

Thanks Willallison, for getting me to the tutorial.

Thanks Polarity for taking the time to make the tutorial.

I have gone through the standard tutorials for Rhino -- just about went nuts trying to cut the hole in the body at the rubber ducky's neck -- but that's a different story.

Hey, what's a quick way to show buttocks and waterlines?

8. Guest

Guest Guest

use "contour" command, look for this command in help, and that will show you how to use the command, i will like to explained it but my english is not that good, but is very easy look for "contour"

the other option is to download the sections plug in from the proteus engineering site the same that wrote phaser the stability plug in this tool its just great you can create al your cuts in the boat (sections, buttocks wl, etc...) with one routine.

good luck, keep them coming!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Boat surface fairing

Hi Shu.
    Some months ago I open for muself Seasolution system for lines fairing. It's much more powerful for my opinion. Go to www.seasolution.com to get trial wersion and good luck!

10. Guest

Guest Guest

nice advertising :)

11. Guest

Guest Guest

advertising

I'm getting tired of seeing the guys from Sea Solution posting questions and answers to themselves to promote their products.

Cut it out guys, it's pathetic.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

It's not Pathetic, it's different level of systems. But well if you want to play with toys - play with Rhino.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Relax both of you, yes is funny to see the "reply's", and the truth is that your software dosen't look so nice as you may think, still alittle bit cranky in graphics, better than rhino?, yes(restrictions apply), more usefull?, don't think so. that depend in the user. but promote the software with examples and comments and participating openly, there is no wrong doing that. avoid any disagreement this forum is exactly for participate and express our opinions.

merry christmas
    Toys'r'good

14. ClarkT

ClarkT Senior Member

shu,
    I personally think Rhino is better than sliced bread, but there's no use crying over spilled milk.

First thing you should do if you have created a surface with the loft or sweep command is reduce the number of control points. You can do this with the rebuild command. You should start with 4 or 6 control points in the x (fwd-aft) direction and 5-9 in the y (port-starboard) direction. The more points you have, the harder your fairing will be. Next go to Options:ModlingAids, and set your nudge to reasonable increments, and base the nudge upon CPlane, not WorldCS.

Try these things out, and let us know how it goes.

-Clark Thompson

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.