Free!ship calculated waterline

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by ChineTri, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ChineTri

ChineTri Junior Member

Hello all,
    I'm working on a chined tri design in free!ship. The dwl is set to 30 cm. The main hull so far is developable, so at the moment I am adding bulkheads, bunks etc. to the design. I set a weight for each panel or part that I add.
    In the profile view I see locations for displacement and weight.
    I am a bit unsure about how to proceed: should I design the model so that the weight position (of all parts, including anticipated crew, motor, rig, etc) is more or less exactly above the displacement position?
    Is it possible to have Free!ship calculate a waterline based on current weight distribution and shape of the model?

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Hi ChineTri,
    Freeship will not do the balance of forces and moments for you. It will just calculate the waterline based on the draft and trim which he got from you, and will show you the resulting positions of CoG and CoB. Evidently, if their X and Y position does not coincide, you don't have a hydrostatically balanced hull. So it's up to you to arrange weights, trim and hull shape in such way to make CoG be vertically aligned with CoB.
    Cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.