converting 34ft twin inboards to outboards

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by naturewaterboy, Sep 20, 2006.

1. naturewaterboy

naturewaterboy Steel Drum Tuner

getting closer to putting this boat in the water. I have purchased two 2006 Mercury Optimax (HPDI) 225 hp 2 strokes, have a Stainless Marine 4 engine bracket almost ready to mount on the transom that I reinforced with 6 layers of 3/8" Okume marine ply with glass mat between for a total transom thickness of 3" now. The outboards have 30" shafts, I've set the bracket so the engines sit 33" above the bottom of the boat. Gonna find out soon if this works.

If the boat was built with 270 hp inboards, what can I expect to get performance wise out of 225hp outboards? I've shed around 1000 lbs. or more? Anyone have a guess on performance?

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

What do you reckon your TOTAL weight will come in at? Fuel N all.

Have you chosen some props yet if so what?

3. naturewaterboy

naturewaterboy Steel Drum Tuner

I'm guessing it will have about 13,000 lbs. displacement with full fuel. I haven't thought about props yet. I hope I can try several props - any suggestions?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.