Anyone ever fitted a revese bucket to a shaft drive boat?

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by jakeeeef, Jan 7, 2015.

1. jakeeeef

jakeeeef Senior Member

Simple question really. anyone ever done it? Anyone heard of it ever being done?

Yes, I'm aware it won't work anywhere near as well as it does with a jet drive! The thrust is nowhere near as concentrated.

But.. it might sort of solve a problem I have.

The sort of size of boat I'm asking the question for : 16foot shaft drive ski boat.
    The problem: No reverse
    The layout: 11inch diameter prop approx 1 foot from transom. There is a rudder between prop and transom so the reverse bucket would not be able to come right up to the prop, and would be mounted on the transom.
    Bonus functionality: Awesome emergency braking!

I'm guessing it would need to be bigger than an equivalent jet drive reverse bucket. I'm guessing a diverter type bucket might work if it diverts the thrust a long way to the sides of the aft going thrust. The rudder might have interesting effects on this like blocking up one side of the diverter. It might therefore steer the wrong way when reversing- but im sure people would get used to it.

Will this work?
    I expect it would go very slowly in reverse and with poor manoevrability.
    Which is better than not going in reverse at all!

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Look up "kitchen rudder" in our search engine.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.