Conversion to jet drive

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by gm1, Jan 25, 2002.

1. olivergriswold

olivergriswold New Member

what boat are you jetting? we are contemplating a jet repower on a bertram 25 (originally twin inboard v-drives).

2. Black Swan

Black Swan Junior Member

The subject boat is a 30 ft. Reinell flybridge sedan cruiser. I have now been researching this project for well over 2 years and have come to the following conclusions:

1: yes, it is possible to do
    2: most of the jets that are "affordable" (totally subjective) are not suitable, they are aimed at the "go faster" crowd
    3: It would be far smarter to start this process from the keel up, that is to design the entire boat around the mission, powerplant, and propulsion system, rather than trying to "reverse engineer" the process.
    4: I can do this particular "refit" for less than one fifth the cost of converting, by replacing both veedrives and simply living with all that stuff that hangs down underneath the boat.

I'm sure I'm not the first to reach this conclusion, but when the purchase price alone of specified jets (reverse engineered) came in at over $46K, (yikes!), there's something to be said for re-thinking the process.

Now I know. Next time, I'll start with a bare hull.

3. twisterme

twisterme Junior Member

Hi Everybody... new here and find this thread fascinating. I am in the midst of a project to convert a 18' fiberglass hull, (formerly equipted with a OMC outdrive and 120hp 4cyl. motor), purchased for $200, to a jet drive used primarily for fishing. The motor is OK (I hope) and will marry it to a Hamilton 751 jet pump purchased for $250. Cut the bottom out and layered in stringers and plywood/epoxy to remove the deep vee and strengthen/flatten it somewhat to accomodate the jet. Will need to cobb in steering and throttle controls as well as fit out the interior of the hull, so far about 40hours and $200 invested. Expect to put her in the water early summer 2007.

4. Steve H

Steve H Senior Member

lets seem some pics!

5. twisterme

twisterme Junior Member

Request for Pics - jet conversion

these are the only pics I have taken late last summer before she got painted and went into the barn right side up. The hole in the transom is where the outdrive was and has now been retrofitted to accept a 751 Hamilton Jet and the hole for the pump has been cut in the bottom of the hull. You can see from these pics that the deep vee is gone and the hull has been reworked from bow to stern to flatten it. There are also stringers installed to mount the motor. The hull where the jet goes in is about 1 1/16" thick (plywood and epoxy) the transom is 3/4" think where the pump goes through but is recessed into the old transom. I have added 2 10oz layers of fiberglass cloth to the keel and 2 layers of 6 oz fiberglass cloth to the hull. The transom will have gussets installed to support a swim platform where a Honda 7.5 HP will be mounted.

Boat1_081806.JPG
    Boat_081806.JPG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. CHARLESEJL

CHARLESEJL New Member

PP Jet impeller

Would it be posible for a contact number or Email address for the Guy in the Midlans. I may be needing a new Impeller for my Jet Drive.
    Thanks
    CHARLESEJL

7. bullet

bullet Junior Member

I need a cheap impellor

Ive been quoted £500 for a new PP Jet impeller or £300 for a reconditioned impellor. Any tips on where to get a replacement impeller cheaper would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Will.

8. Dean1974

Dean1974 New Member

Inboard Jet drive to Outboard boat

Hi All,

I have a Sims Super Vee with Ford 1600 X flow engine in it with a jet drive.
    The boat has seen better days although I know the engine is in really good condition.
    Is this a silly idea to put this set up into a 20' glass cabin fishing boat that I imported?
    Im really stumped at the moment about the Transom Angle and height of exhaust outlet etc.
    Any help would be appriciated before I butcher 2 boats!
    :)

Thanks
    Dean

9. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

Hi
    A 20 ft boat is almost certainly too heavy for a pp65 jet ,sell the jet and engine and buy an outboard it will save you a lot of work and heartache.The 65 only worked well in lightweight ski boats it won't pump enough water to power a larger boat efficiently

10. Dean1974

Dean1974 New Member

Thanks Anthony,
    I would really like to convert to an inboard, what engine/drive would you reccomend?

Thanks again,

Dean

11. anthony goodson

anthony goodson Senior Member

Hi Dean
    Without a lot more information it is impossible to say
    Tony

12. jbm

jbm Junior Member

jet

here are some jet pumps to look at scott water jet in new zealand
    they have single and 2 stage pumps for 100 hp to over 1600 hp
    for gas and diesel
    we [ jet boats of montana ] are using 751 and 752 pumps for 143 hp turbo,2.4 175 hp vortec 2.2 ecotec n/a
    and 2.2 super charged 252 hp ecotec
    all in 15-16' hulls

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.