Controlling exotherm in thick solid laminate with infusion

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Steve W, Jan 1, 2023.

1. wet feet

wet feet Senior Member

Thanks for the information,it seems like an entirely rational way to proceed.The barrier coat beneath the bottom paint is definitely a good idea.

2. PBC

PBC Junior Member

My hull bottom is 10 layers of 850g -13 layers at overlaps. Infused with polylite 33282 at 1.5% butanox m50. Didn’t get to hot but we keep some wet rags handy incase there is bridging that we missed. 1m spacing of feed lines is wide! I would go with 500mm (400mm if your mold might leak) you don’t need to use all of them. This keeps flow more even and less chance of dry spots. It’s cheap insurance . 1.5 m between feed inlets. It’s conservative but less stressful on the first go . Will attach Timelapse 470810C1-F0F8-4521-8544-204C12B816BD.jpeg

3. PBC

PBC Junior Member

Timelapse

Attached Files:

4. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

Thanks for the video, love those time lapse videos, makes you look busier than a one legged man in an *** kicking contest. So i did end up infusing in 2 pulls out of an abundance of caution and all went well and we ended up with a nice part. We ended up with about 68% fiber content by weight. We did a feed line in the center of the keel and an intermediate line each side. The part was only 25" each side of the centerline and i feel we could have not used the intermediate lines but again, played it safe. The project is completed now just waiting for winter to end so we can start launching boats.

fallguy, rxcomposite and PBC like this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.