Stuffing Box re-pack break in?

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by 7228sedan, Jun 5, 2011.

1. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

I just launched for the season yesterday with my newly re-packed stuffing box. I only ran the boat for about a half an hour, and I did not see any drips coming out of the top of the stuffing box. I made sure to set the box a little loose to allow the packing to break in. I was getting a few drips on the bottom side of the jam nut, but that stopped by the time I got back to the slip. How long should I run it before I should start to see the drips? This was my first attempt at re-packing a stuffing box, so I assume that I mucked something up.

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

Depends on what you repacked with.

If it is the antique flax style packing , there SHOULD be a slow drip when underway.

This cools and lubricates the bearing.

Unfortuniatly it usually drips when stopped , the cheapest cure is a remote grease cup, you turn the tpo before leaving the boat.

There was a "solution" attempted with face seals , last drop , but the danger is the bellows fail and the inrush is far beyons a std bilge pump.

Today the solution is a modern packing material Duramax or similar.

FF

3. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

I used a teflon inpregnated flax that's put out by Western Pacific Trade Co. Last season, it dripped while underway, while stopped, and any other time. The box was misalligned on the shaft & the packing was very compressed and dried out. I realligned everything & re packed the box with 3 rings of the new stuff. Upon launching I tightened the box down just so no water was being forced out of the bottom of the box; I then locked down the jam nut. And low & behol;d after all of that... no dripping at all. After a 30 minute cruise at normal cruising speed,the box felt slightly warm, but by no means hot. I assume that the flax & the shaft need to blend a bit and then I'd get the drips.

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Those teflon seals, even when a bit loose, may not leak. Sometimes all you get is a bit of moisture. The teflon gets smeared around and makes a really good seal. As long as it doesn't get hot, there is no problem.

5. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

Once again Gonzo, thank youfor the information! I did see the shaft immediately outside of the stuffing box looked "wet" however I was looking for a drip. I'll leave it as is and put some hours on her before I touch it again.

1 person likes this.

6. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

GFO marine packing is what I use
    Soft and does not leak or drip

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.