Controlable Pitch Prop

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by viking north, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Busteddrum

Busteddrum New Member

Viking and Moe, good luck with your search. I always thought that lifeboats off of old ships being broken might be a good source for a small diesel and CPP.

The Hundested I have is the smallest they make and the prop size ranges from 22" to 35.5". I had 35" blades but somebody decided to liberate them. Upsetting that they probably sold $10k worth of blades for scrap metal:eek:

There is a large pin in the base of each blade for actuation. I believe that when used in a power boat direct drive, the pin is in a position to adjust the blades from full forward to full back, and that for sail boats the range is from feathered to neutral. Not 100% sure about that. If one wanted the stern thruster ability in either a power or sail boat then a reverse gear would be needed with the sail configuration blades.

I am thinking about building a boat using the drive. Something like this only sized up to the drive capability.
    [​IMG]

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Thanks BD - I have a year or so to hunt, surely something will surface. Thieves they are the human vermin of the earth. Hope you can come up with another set of blades. That should be an easy hull to propel. Please be so kind to post your build on the forum with lot's of photos. :) --Geo.

3. Scunthorp

Scunthorp Hull Tech

Combi Overhaul

I have an Albin Vega 27 with a CPP unit which I need to re build as it seems to be stuck in reverse. I am thinking it might be a worn key way but I really don't know. Next message is what I have so far.

4. Scunthorp

Scunthorp Hull Tech

Here are the drawings (I hope)

Attached Files:

5. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Wow! John that is a fantastic informative post for fellow sailors running the same Volvo ? engine and Cpp system. Worth it's weight in gold and to think I might also have opportunity to dabble with it. :)

6. AndySGray

AndySGray Senior Member

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Thanks Andy, I've been in on a similar Kasten marine site before but this one seems to have more info. I'm going to review the leads to be sure. I'll Keep my fingers crossed and post any positive results, :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.