control systems

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by zeroth, Nov 24, 2010.

1. zeroth

zeroth New Member

Does anyone know of any informational sites or can tell me how an A-Class Catamaran control system works? I feel as though I am not looking in the right spots and keep coming up with very little information.

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Please exapand a little more about your meaning of of the words; "control system"

I take your question to mean what control items are involved. Start with the rudders with tillers, crossbar and a hiking stick long enough to handle while on the wire. Then the main sheet, vang, outhaul, downhaul, and traveler. Those are the basics but there may be some other do-dads that the A cat sailors are using these days, like Barber haulers, cunninghams, shroud tweakers, luff strings and other complications that are more frequently distractive than practical.

I might remind you that in a serious blow the control system is practically non functional on an "A". Been there done that,(more than once) and miraculously survived.

3. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Hi zeroth,

Are you referring to a hands free steering ?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.