software info

Discussion in 'Software' started by lomar, Jul 6, 2008.

1. lomar

lomar New Member

I am looking for software to create 3D drawings of inflatable boat tubes, split them and flat pattern them for printing or exporting to a computer-controlled vacuum cutting table which I am also on the lookout for. If any one could be of assistance would appreciate it

2. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Hello

My suggestion would be Rhinoceros (Rhino) v4 it has a multitude of tools that suit your requirements. You will also get good help here with this package.

Cheers

3. aleutka29

aleutka29 Junior Member

My suggestion would be to use MultiSurf. Using a parametrically variable model means when the hull shape changes the patterns change as well.

4. alidesigner

alidesigner Senior Member

Depends on your budget.

If you want low budget then Rhino will be fine but you might need autocad light or a cheaper autocad clone to make your drawings, and you will have to redraw them manually for each new design and each design change.

If you want to spend a bit more then buy the base version of Solidworks. You then get parametric control of your model, automatic drawing updates, basic FEA, and model automation with Driveworks express. You can then develop a series of designs from the one model by just changing some dimensions. Over time if you do a few designs this will pay for itself over an over. Find a Solidworks reseller and get a quote - you might be surprised when you look at the cost difference.

In case anyone is wondering, I am a solidworks user. I dont sell it or get paid anything for recommending it.

5. LyndonJ

LyndonJ Senior Member

I've been interested in this too

But isn't solidworks is as it's name suggests a solids package?
    The surface tools are not as intuitive or as easy to use as say Rhino's . The time taken to input the solids model is much higher in the first instance and requires a much higher level of training and cost.

It's indicative that there's no base of users designing boats in solidworks and no professionals use it for hull design and framing, but rather for detailed parts and assemblies and analysis. Solidworks don't evem promote it for hull design. I'd be really interested to see a series of pictures of the progress of a design in solidworks.

A big lack is that there's no dedicated marine plugin for Solidworks or even a basic hydrostatics command as Rhino provides, so you need to export the outer surfaces to some other package for your stability calcs and coefficients anyway.

If you want parametric relationships in a hull with Rhino you can use the history command and some basic scripting perhaps.

Theres also auto framing packages that start with surfaces, these have been around for a long while already. Even then, design offices with for example Maxsurf and Workshop will still often modify each frame individually for it's length spacing and load after using the auto generation for weights and moments in the first part of the design process. The most sensible approach depends on the size of the boat really.

My opinion is that of all the packages I have been playing with that you cannot beat Rhino with Rhino marine for small boat design.

6. alidesigner

Yes you are right it is a solid modeller which gives it many advantages. You can use all the surfacing and solid modelling tools together, then just shell it and extract surfaces. Sweep, loft, rule, revolve, patch, knit, trim etc - it's all there.

"The surface tools are not as intuitive or as easy to use as say Rhino's . The time taken to input the solids model is much higher in the first instance and requires a much higher level of training and cost. "

It seems that you have never seen or used solidworks so how can you make a comment like that?

As for professionals not using it check out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9c5QHGuNu0

7. shellexpansion

shellexpansion Junior Member

The thread is old, but hope this may help others.

When choosing software, the basic question is what do you want. Just one line statement may not be enough. List all the requirements is the minimun first step, that way, you have a starting point to avoid overpay the functions you don't need.

At the low nonparametric software, you don't have much choice, rhino is simply the best. However, if you want to do some parametric stuffs, then you need to look others: solidedges, solidworks, pro/E, ablibre, inventor, etc. they are all parametric, it requires some training to get the job done.

However, for the inflatable boat, you can just free Alibra express, there is no point to pay. It should be able to get your job done. You have to take time to learn it, the online tutorial should help you a lot.

Someone complains here that solidwork UI is not intuitive. It is not that solidwork's issue, if you use other software for parametric design, you will have the same issue. It is the way the software is developed, you can not just start the software and use it after you install it. You must first know what you going to do, and how to define reference planes or reference points, etc. A very simple example: you want to create a cubic with a hole. Now the question is how to define the hole location, In the parametric CAD software, the location is refering to two side planar surfaces. But in rhino, it is different.

8. usrowboy

usrowboy New Member

Software for the novice?

I am total novice when it comes to 3d software. I know boats though and can loft on a drafting table; even built a few strip planked canoes and a whitehall.
    I have worked with Corel 11 in conjunction with my laser ( a hobby for trophies and engraving and such).
    I'd like to make a model of the kit ocean rowboat that I used in the 2001 Atlantic rowing race. It was cut from marine ply using a laser and assembled to some pretty close tolerances. I can't find out what software they used to design the boat though.
    I've tried reproducing it with Corel in 2D but I can only go so far with the 60 or so parts that make up the frame. When it comes to making the skin fit, forget it. It just won't work. Adjusting one small detail leads to adjusting quite a few other parts.
    Is there something that I can buy and learn on my own that would enable me to "fit" these assorted parts together and make a fair hull?
    I looked at SolidWorks and they promised the world, but at $7k and up, it's got way more features than I 'd ever need.
    Thanks for your help and input up front.
    Feel free to email me directly about this.
    usrowboy@nj.rr.com
    rowboy

9. alidesigner

Have a look at the free version of Alibre (www.alibre.com) It's the same style of parametric modeller as solidworks etc,. It's not as nice as Solidworks but for what you want to do, and to learn 3D parametric modelling for free its great. It has some good tutorials for self paced learning.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.