How long takes engineer study in your country

Discussion in 'Education' started by =D=, Feb 9, 2006.

1. =D=

=D= Junior Member

hi

I have a realy big plea to you all.
    Plese reply here, how long usually takes engineer study in your country, thanks

2. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

4-5 years in The Netherlands

3. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Five years for a Master degree now, used to 4.5 years.
    Three years for a Bachelor, I think.

4. terhohalme

terhohalme BEng Boat Technology

In Finland, BEng at polytechnic (applied science) 4 years, MEng at university 5-6 years.

5. JonH

JonH Junior Member

The United Kingdom:

A minimum of 4 years (straight to Masters undergraduate course) followed by around two years work in an appropriate field to gain Chartered status. A three year BEng degree is no longer sufficient to gain Chartered status.

It would be advisable to contact the appropriate body for your field, prior to applying for a course:

http://www.engc.org.uk/Institutions/Institutions.aspx

6. Nels Tomlinson

Nels Tomlinson Junior Member

When I graduated (1985) it was 4 years to a BSEE in the U.S., and I don't think that's changed. There were also 5 year programs which get you a BS and MS, and 5 year programs which get you a BS and include work experience. I think that those last have been less popular lately.

As of 1985, a student could take the Engineer in Training exam; after graduation and five years of increasingly responsible experience, he could take the Professional Engineer exam for his field and become licensed. Graduation may not have been required for licensing (can't remember), but the EIT and PE exams were. At least one state did NOT have the experience requirement. Again, I don't think any of this has changed.

Nels

7. bertelli

bertelli New Member

in China
    7(4+3)years for a Master degree
    4 years for a bachelor degree

8. rickychen96

rickychen96 Junior Member

in china

now it is changed,just costing 2 more years u can get a Master degree after
    u have the Bachelor degree.
    welcome to china:)

9. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Mmmmm............. take me 5 min to be a master at eating roasted peking duck...... really delicious..... yum yum.........:D:D:D

10. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Depends on the style of Engineer!

Most marine engineers take about as long as Welly takes to eat a peking duck!

Real Engineers take longer (gotta find it under all those fish scales first)

Oil and Water do not mix!!

11. emrahgokalp

emrahgokalp New Member

In turkey 4 years for a bachelor degree

12. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Sorry cant help myself......:D:D:D....... it will take me and four of my friend 5 mins to masterly eat a turkey.........LOL........ :D:D:D

13. Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse Junior Member

Not necessarily. The institutions seem to be getting alot more open minded on the subject. I have recently been in contact with IStructE, and believe ICE will be relaxing their rules in the near future. If you have a bachelors degree, you do need to supplement that with either a post-grad masters or you can do a "technical report", which can be completed whilst fulfilling the CPD for chartered status. This comprises a comprehensive report on a suitably technical subject, which is assessed by the institution. Not sure what the situation is with RINA though.

Academic achievement isn't the be all and end all anymore, quite rightly so IMHO.

14. JonH

JonH Junior Member

Depends when you graduated. As a 2000 graduate, I could gain CEng status (IEE) via professional work only. From '02, the graduates of my course (and every other Liverpool course) would need further study for chartered status.

Quite the contrary, most of the Institutes have strengthened their academic requirements since the ECUK common review of registration in 2000.

As far as RINA is concerned Bachelors' courses post 2004 entry require further study, including those Bachelors' courses that are of 4 years duration.

(Full listings of courses are on the link in my previous post)

15. Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse Junior Member

The date cut-of also applies to IStructE, however there is no requirement that you have to do further academic study. If you did a bachelors before the cutoff then all's fine and dandy. If not, your technical report can be linked with any job you may be doing which is suitably related to structures, and you don't need to take any time out for study, so can still be fulfilling the IPD requirements.

I'll stick with IStructE I think ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.