Containerable Motorsailers

Discussion in 'Motorsailers' started by Guillermo, May 19, 2006.

1. I use 45 ft HC (High Cube) container between Asia and Netherland, what do You mean with .."would be transfer to normal 20 ft for inter-island transport"..?

1 person likes this.
  2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

3. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

International port Like Jakarta and Surabaya would take in any size.... Once you need to retransport the container to other island, the vessel still old design that accept mostly 20 ft, rarely you can see 40 ft but only 40ft normal type......

So, if you intented the goods to send right to your door step if out transfer the goods to a smaller or other size container, use the 40 ft normal... for International transport, it is transport proof.

I know this as I have Chinese people sending container full of ceramic vases and later need to transfer to 20 ft boxes....... turn out they need 2.5 approx container from 40 ft extra big container and things get lost in the process.

But with a 40 ft normal it was send from China straight to Jakarta and later to Kalimantan without even need to change anything. If I need a boat to reach my home I would need 40ft normal fit boat, unless I want it in Jakarta and sail her back home manually.

WDH

Hope you understand, or I have to call you :)

4. Welly, this never happen to me. Our freight with HC 45 ft is a little more costing of 40 ft and pass trought many ports before the arrival to a small city in Holland. Suggest to You to change shipping company.
    No need to call me, but if You want an help You are welcome.:cool:

5. Wellydeckhand

I am refering to most Indonesia national shipping....... That is the local trouble. I dont think in the western countries will have the same problem.:) We are neighbour in SE Asia anyway.

6. But.... I will like to thinking to a boat that could be containerable, may be to be used/shipped between US/European countries to Caribean or Oceania to pleasure purpose and easy shipped back to home by Container.
    Actually we are thinking to design a power catamaran (with Alik/Albert Nazarov) that could be easily disassembled in three parts, the two hulls and the center cockpit/deck, may be just an open day sailer catamaran but with a day/night uses possibility. A 40 ft hull catamaran could be a very nice solution. You know, a boat that could be disassembled and reassembled by the owner with the help of some, may be just three or four people, as actually to ship a boat like the Concordia 36 ft
    You need a shipping company and a big stand to fit in the container.
    Anyone have any idea about?

7. frank marsden

frank marsden Junior Member

containerable motorsailer/lifeboat

to A****** boats,

Three part boat may be better as a trimaran, perhaps.

My old containerable design is no longer available, however, I have decided to commence a design for a containerable/ road trailable/aircraft droppable all weather, ocean going, motorsailer, unsinkable, self righting two or four berth lifeboat, constructed in either steel or aluminium.

I think that there could be a significant market for such a boat.

8. You were not able to get back the plan? I will like to see it , or a new idea even in some sketches.

9. frank marsden

containerable lifeboat

No, could not get the plan back.

New design will be a similar design but a shorter version.
    The container constrains the design.

Can you tell me if you have any cad system?

It is then easy to email drawings.

10. frank marsden

container lifeboat

I have Maxsurf. Rhino and Turbocad,

Turbocad can output in Autocad format.

I have just been checking, and explain my concept to a narrowboat expert.

English canals have narrowboats 7foot maximum beam, and a very strong market for leisure boating.

A number of narrowboat owners would like to be able to cross the Engish Channel and go as far as the south of France.

This would require a 40 foot or longer version.

I will send some sketches in a week or two.

11. Wellydeckhand

Can A Trimaran be transported in 3 parts?:confused: in 3 container?

Maybe the centre is McGregor 26?

WDH

12. frank marsden

trimaran

I would think that it would go in two containers, one for the central hull and two sponsons in a second.

This would need a careful design study to determine.

13. sharpii2

sharpii2 Senior Member

Guillermo:

Just got done running this design through my spread sheat. But after adding 2,000 pounds for stores and gear. The numbers still came out pretty respctable. This looks like a good all around boat. It is somewhat remenisant of the old IOR boats, but without the wide beam and pinched ends. The S/D is about the same as was typical back then, about 14.6.

For a modern boat, this one looks like one I wouldn't mind owning. It looks reasonably rugged and the draft is shallow.

The only question I have is how do they get the keel off and on quickly. And how do they handle it while its off the boat? Does it have a special flange for HiLo forks to get under it?

Bob

14. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Thanks, Bob.
    I do not know how do they handle the keel, but we may ask Will Rogers of Container Yachts. I'm away from Galicia these days, using a borrowed computer, so I'll only have time to do this next week. You may ask him by yourself. I do not have here his personal e-mail address, but the company's one is: info@containeryachts.com
    Cheers.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.