Contact Dermatitis

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Charly, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Charly

Charly Senior Member

OK, I have developed a few patches of a rash or something on my legs, and I am trying to figure out what it is and what is causing it. Anyone have any direct experience with any negative long term exposure effects of epoxy on the skin? What does it look like? does it itch? flake? bleed?

I have been exposed regularly to epoxy for the last four years or so, and have been careful to use gloves etc, but it is often hot here in Georgia, USA so wearing short pants I have often gotten hot resin on the legs, especially that spot on the shin, just below the knee that often rubs against the step- ladder rung when working up high. There is a fairly large spot there as well as a few smaller ones scattered about both legs. They are not really serious looking, but they don't go away. I first noticed this back in June. Occasionally they might itch just a little, but no pain or burning, no raised bumps or blisters, no oozing.... just red patches. The largest one, the one on the front part of the calf, has a reddish border ring around it, but no "bulls eye" like is described for Lyme disease symptoms.

My typical procedure has been to clean up with lots of white vinegar after each mixing.. that is each time I change the gloves... and then wash up with liquid detergent, sometimes twice, then dry the hands and go again. Usually I wipe down the legs and arms with vinegar at the same time. Rarely have I used acetone or alcohol to clean up with, but I have occasionally... and curiously enough, within the last few months. (I started the practice of working fillets etc with a gloved finger dipped in alcohol, and usually the glove breaks before it is all over) From time to time I may have wiped various body parts with alcohol or acetone. So, one of the questions I have is could the use of solvents have driven the hot goo into the tissue, that may already have been sensitized?

There are other possible culprits as well: I often do landscape work with pruners and mowers on oleander, poision ivy and god knows what else. The way I understand it "contact dermatitis" covers a lot of ground.

And there are ticks here, and yes I have been tick bitten many times, though I don't think for very long. I really don't want to go and get checked for Lyme disease, but that is a possibility.

Anyone have any experience with this? I would love to "compare notes".
    Thanks.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I suspect if it is localized to a few leg patches it may be your local wildlife.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Sensitivity to epoxy can manifest itself in a lot of ways, each person is different. I know one guy that's so sensitive to one of the brands I use, he will not come in the shop, even if I insist nothing is open. Others I know have taken baths in the stuff will little affect. Stay away from epoxy for a while and see if you clear up. This maybe a natural course for whatever you have anyway, which will not prove anything, but after you heal up, expose yourself to some epoxy and see if it reappears, which will be a dead ringer for epoxy sensitivity.

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I have flaking patches on my right hand between the two smallest fingers, and on the inside of the wrist.

But I havent done any epoxying for a few months, and they have cleared up somewhat.

Like the others have said - there is no 'typical', and its hard to be definite about the cause.

Likewise, my doc tells me that skin conditions often occur in us old guys - what can I say :-(

6. Charlyipad

Charlyipad Senior Member

hey rwatson, have you had a lot of exposure in the past?

I am a big fan of coconut oil, and it seems to help, especially with flaking skin. I just have to be careful about getting it on any work though. (hmmm...I wonder how coconut oil would work as a mold release?)

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yes, lots of previous contact. In the previous four years I have been epoxying on a continuous basis.

Its hard to be accurate about the diagnosis, and I wear gloves at every opportunity, but its impossible to remain totally untouched.

The different moisterisers do help as mentioned, but they dont cure unfortunately

8. AndySGray

AndySGray Senior Member

Barrier cream is usefull to give an additional layer of protection - ask your fibreglass supplier - you'll be amazed (or not) how many other people suffer. Ideal for legs, arms and exposed skin where gloves dont cover.

The better ones have silicone in there so not good for use when painting. Good news is that they also protect against things like poison oak etc. too.

Citrus based hand/skin cleaners are gentler than dish-soap and won't dry the skin - dry cracked skin can be prone to infection and harsh cleaning agents are often as much to blame as the epoxy.

9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

You can get the barrier cream at the pharmacy also.

When I was doing a lot of glass work I started wearing these kind of gloves. They lasted for weeks and wouldn't break down, were comfortable, surprisingly "dexterous" and rolling up the cuff stopped all kinds of stuff from running down the arms. You need a few pair so you can rinse them out and prop up to dry overnight. Home Depot has them.

[​IMG]

10. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

If you're really concerned I'd go and see a dermatologist. Even then it might be difficult to diagnose quickly and Paul (PAR) probably has the right approach.

I'm noticing that many of the posters here are say, over 40 or 50. Things tend to start going a bit haywire as we age. I've had a number of cases of mild skin cancer and issues with dermtitis that according to the docs are likely unrelated to epoxy or any other specific exposure. The sun and UV is a big suspect and boaters aren't generally nocturnal. I suspect boatbuilders get their fair share or more of UV as well.

Getting to know a dermatologist will get you some answers, strategies and perhaps some peace of mind.

11. Charly

Charly Senior Member

Thank you all for the feedback. Fortunately for me, I am nearing the end of a big build project, and I am almost finished with the serious glasswork, indeed, all glasswork. So I will be weaning off of the goo. I was just curious about other's experiences with epoxy sensitivity, and would still like to hear other personal accounts, especially symptoms and their locations and onsets, corrective measures, types of medicine...herbs etc. anything.

THanks

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's literally a crap shoot. I should be extremely sensitized by now, but nope. I've been good about not eating or swimming in it, but I've smeared enough on me to certainly get some reaction. Apparently, I'm too evil to get epoxy's interest I guess. It's a bit like trying to determine why you like the color red more than blue.

13. CDK

CDK retired engineer

The reddish border ring suggests it is a fungus infection of the "tinea" kind.
    Google for "ring worm". You don't get it from epoxy but from gardening. Once it is there, the skin is sensitized and reacts to a lot of chemicals.

A fungicide cream or lotion slowly cures it (3-6 weeks).

1 person likes this.
  14. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

A Dutch guy who is building a Farrier F-39 made this collection* . . :(

* ‘‘thread’’ in the introduction was meant as ‘‘threat’’ I guess.

P.S. - There's also a blog about this F-39 build.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

15. Charly

Charly Senior Member

wow.

I think I will go home and clean up my shop now...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.