Hull design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by goof, Nov 4, 2009.

1. goof

goof New Member

Hi Everyone
    I am new at this in more ways than one, it took me half about hour how to start a thread.
    I am trying to design a catamaran hull in solidworks, but the curves have the appearance of waves along the surface, so I am under the impression that my frames are badly designed, so my question is how do you design hull frames so that the curvature is perfect?

Thanks

2. pamarine

pamarine Marine Electrician

This I know how to do! (well, sort of)

I draw the Sheer and Keel lines using 3-d splines and loft a surface between them. The trick is to use as few control points as necessary along the spline to get the desired shape.

If you need a certain profile to the hull, then you can connect the Sheer and Keel lines with addition guide curves, again using a few controls as necessary.

The trick to doing this in SW is you must stop the loft behind the hull side joining at the bow. You the have to fill in the bow surface seperately. One you have the hull half solved, you can manipulate it using the free form surfacing tools to fair it, and then insert>boss/base>thicken to convert it to a solid. This now gives you a half-hull. Simply mirror the body about the CL plane, merge the solids, and you have your hull.

To build frames, you would then draw the frame profile on the CL plane in the desired locations and extrude them to the hull sides. This will give you a frame that exactly fits the inside of your hull.

Search YouTube for "How to build a Hull in Solidworks" for a neat little turtorial on the surfacing process.

3. goof

goof New Member

Hi Pamarine

Thanks for the help on that, could I send to you the hull that I am working on so that you can see the problems that I am having.

4. pamarine

pamarine Marine Electrician

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.