construction plan opinions needed for my proposed boat project

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by blsmith29651, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

That's the boat but I recall at some point he said the lake he is on has an 18ft limit. I'm going by memory which is so so....and there is a solution, move.

He could take it to bigger waters but I think some of the appeal is looking out his window and seeing it at the end of the dock. That's a grin, but so is yelling 'raise the gollywobler!".

2. seasailor55

seasailor55 Senior Member

I wonder if the 18 ft. restriction is waterline length, length on deck, or length overall. I could see him retracting the bowsprit when measurement time came. Sounds like the lawyers could have more fun with this one than the America's Cup.

Are cannons allowed? Potato cannons, for the record, are not considered weapons by the BATF (presumably because the munitions are edible), but he might encounter some issues with hurling vegetable broadsides at the papparazi on PWC's seeking photo ops. But then again he might not if the rounds were baked, buttered, and salted. He could always fire off some grape shot. :)

3. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

Sufficiently armed with vegetable munitions do restrictions even mater? I think this falls under the 'gunboat diplomacy' section...

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I did a quick sketch at 18' and decided it just wasn't practical. Even at 20' with a fairly short LWL, she's 2,400 pounds and has a D/L of 299, to satisfy some of his requirements and those of the rig. You might be able to do it in 18', but her spared length will still be well over, on an 18' deck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.