construction of aluminium and carbon masts

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Lourencosampaio, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Lourencosampaio

Lourencosampaio Junior Member

Hello all,

I am doing an investigation on: 'Development of materials in masts of racing triangular-rigged sailboats and how it has affected performance.'

I am looking for info about the construction of aluminium and carbon masts, and its advantages and disadvantages.

could anyone help me please?

LS

2. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

aluminium and carbon masts, and its advantages and disadvantages.

On most boats weight aloft is reduced as much as can be done. Aluminum is better (lighter and less maintanance) than wood.

Downside is it rings like a bell if struck with a halyard.So the boat next to you may keep you awake at night.

Carbon is lighter than wood , or aluminum but VERY costly , and does not seem to have the longevity of either.

FF

3. Lourencosampaio

thank FF, but that info I already have, i was looking for something more technic, such as fabrication methods, etc etc

thanks
    LS

4. Luckless

Luckless Senior Member

If the ringing is an issue, couldn't you fill most of the void with an ultra-low density high expansion foam to reduce it?

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

you need to define what you mean by performance then....since you say you interested in the fabrication. So how does the fabrication relate to the performance, ie what context, performance of what???
    Since your one line is not sufficient for anyone to help you narrow down your questions/answer.

6. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

An old wive's tale, told by old wives?

7. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

I agree with Paul B--longevity is a function of good quality design and manufacture. The better of both, the longer it will last.

As mentioned on another posting of this same topic by the same requester, see my website for a discussion of free-standing carbon fiber masts:

http://www.sponbergyachtdesign.com/StateoftheArt.htm

Eric

8. Lourencosampaio

ad hoc, basically I am doing an essay on how the materials have affected performance. in that essay i must explain the fabrication methods involved in building a mast of each material, the part on performance is for me to do; i'm just asking for info about the fabrication methods.

LS

9. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

LS
    Ok...i understand, but that is still a bit vague with your definition of performance...how a material affects performance, the definition of this term still eludes me, hence not clear what it is your asking. Since already noted above by Eric, longevity and quality are mere just two that can fall into your category. So, it may be clear to you, but not to me.

The fabrication methods, well, that is another subject in itself too...

I think you're trying to cover too many subjects to answer a single question which has many different answers depending upon the 'slant' you want...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.