Construction of a trailer yacht Lion 550 Adrenaline

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Unik, Jul 18, 2017.

1. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Could you just use stitch and glue on a yacht around 8 metres , instead of chine logs ?

2. Unik

Unik Senior Member

I do not see any obstacles to using technology to stitch and glue on yachts up to 10 meters.

3. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

What is the reason, in your opinion, in this limit to the 10 m of length ?. This is, indeed, a border that could be discussed and defined or confirmed by other experts in this constructive system.

4. Unik

Unik Senior Member

I think that for larger yachts it will be technically difficult to assemble without special equipment.

5. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

6. Unik

Unik Senior Member

Attached Files:

7. Unik

Unik Senior Member

Installing the kit on the slipway and assembling the hull Lion 550
    The whole construction is assembled in one working day

More info

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      47.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Unik

Unik Senior Member

Assembling of structures yacht building, gluing.
    To date, the assembly of the yacht body is coming to an end, and the gluing of all the structural details, the design has gained stiffness and shape.

more info

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      54.3 KB
      Views:
  9. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I like the idea of the side stringer CNC cut to the hull curve. That would ensure a smooth hull appearance as well as the added stiffness.

10. Unik

Unik Senior Member

A little more adrenaline, began to sew up the body of the outer skin, installed a bottom plate.
    For all about everything today, 15 sheets of plywood, 0.5 kg of epoxy resin and five days of work have been used.

more info

11. Unik

Unik Senior Member

Forced simple, in anticipation of delivery of ordered materials, fiberglass, epoxy and the second part of the cutting.
    But the work continues, took several hours to install the straps for fixing the lining of the lockers in the case.

More info

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      43.7 KB
      Views:
  12. Unik

Unik Senior Member

Сontinues construction of the Lion 550

Received the ordered materials, the work continues, on the approach the second part of the cutting is also 15 sheets.
    Almost all hull structures are assembled, straps are installed, in the places of joints and intersections of plywood parts, fillets are made and pasted with fiberglass tape.

More info

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      37.9 KB
      Views:
  13. johnnythefish

johnnythefish Junior Member

I am interested in your thoughts on the Birch ply for this construction - I have heard mixed reports on its suitability for boats, but have access to Wisa- Birch and Wisa-Spruce and wanted to hear from someone with real world experience on the subject? Anytime I seem to mention it - the standard response is build with BS1088 Marine Ply - but to be fair, I am really struggling to find any which seems to be of "true" quality and added to that, I would rather build boats out of wood that I know is sustainably harvested - but there definitely seems to be a negative impression of non-tropical woods in plywood boat building circles?

14. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Good question, it will be interesting to know more about the ply.

From my experience, its the quality of the glue that makes the difference. That makes sense, as delamination between layers is what will wreck the build.

The non tropical wood negativity is most certainly the weight constraints, and possibly the oiliness of non-tropic timber for epoxy adhesion. Certainly, tropic wood itself is not very durable, so Birch and Spruce aren't any worse.

15. johnnythefish

johnnythefish Junior Member

Isn't Spruce a fairly light and strong timber - I thought it was used in aircraft - and as you said rwatson the rot resistance thing is kind of quirky given how much okume is loved in boat building and yet is rated as very low on the rot resistant spectrum...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.