Preserving Sanded/prepped glass for secondary bonding.

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by SCYC, May 20, 2015.

1. SCYC

SCYC New Member

I plan on gutting my entire boat down to the bare hull as to replace the stringers and decks.
    I'd like to do this over a few weeks time, and rip out all the rot, then start to grind the entire hull. However, I understand after the hull has been grinded/sanded down to bare, fresh glass, it needs to be coated asap as to not let moisture and impurities into that new surface. I've read about peel ply but I don't think that'd apply since im not applying new glass right away.

My question is, is there another way to seal off the freshly prepped glass, so I could leave it for a few days/week or so, this way I can work on the boat a little bit at a time?

I thought about putting a fresh coat of resin on within a few hours of grinding each area, but even then when I go back to apply new layers of glass eventually, I'll need to grind and prep that few day/week old resin.
    Or am I just left having to do the boat in small sections so I can apply new glass and resin to the newly prepped area a day or so at a time?

Thanks for any input!

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Boats are routinely peeled, washed, and left to sit for a year to dry out. Not sure what the issue is. There will be some surface prep to do before reglassing, but not a huge deal. Just drape the area to keep contact to a minimum.

http://www.boatpeeling.com/BP/Drying_Out.html

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There is no problem on waiting. If the boat gets exposed to UV for several months, the resin will start to degrade, but that shouldn't be a problem for you.

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Dust, dirt and other contiminates can cause problems, but these are environmental issues, not really time related.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.