constructing a normal in CAD (Maxsurf or AutoCAD)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Speng, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Speng

Speng Junior Member

Hello. I have a problem I need to solve in either AutoCAD or Maxsurf. I have a hull shape that I want to put some rudders on perpendicular to the hull surface (or at some other angle). I have a buttock and a section at the point where I want to put the rudder but I'd like to know how to find the normal to the surface at that point or alternatively I have the lines in AutoCAD and would like to know how to find the normal there. Can someone give me so tips?
    Thanks

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  2. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

Do you have a copy of Workshop as well, or only Maxsurf? Workshop can calculate a surface normal at the intersection of a section and a buttock. These are normally used for calculating stringer orientation and cutouts in frames, but could be used for your purpose quite easily.

Otherwise I would suggest exporting the section and buttock contours to Autocad and using these to calculate a normal vector at their intersection.

3. pavel915

pavel915 Senior Member

I think rhino will give you the best work.
    You can make a 3d model using the lines drawing from autocad in rhino and for this work rhino is the best.
    After making the model ; rhino will give you the best 3d visualization to put rudder at a particular position and at a particular angle.
    Wish you all the best.

4. Speng

Speng Junior Member

Yes I believe I have workshop so i can figure it out there. Can you give me the name of the command to calculate the normal in autocad? I think I tried the norm calculation but I was having no joyI need to do it in the body plan and elevation views.

Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.