Off Throttle Steering

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by pberardi, Apr 12, 2006.

1. pberardi

pberardi New Member

Hello All,

I am conducting some research relating to jet propulsion steering system design, in particular, off throttle steering (also relating to PWCs). Can anyone point me in a direction of possible technical papers or studies about the development of jet boat or pwc steering mechanisms especially relating to off throttles steering challenges and design techniques? Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Most of the major PWC makers have already implemented off-throttle steering on their new models. Sea-Doo drops a pair of rudders from the chines when you release the throttle; some others hold a few thousand RPM on the engine if you suddenly crank the bars hard-over and release the throttle. Most of the details are trade secrets; only the end result is passed on in the marketing.

3. pberardi

pberardi New Member

Thank you for the response, but I should clarify my research objective. I am looking for information about the development of these systems prior to the 1998 mandate by the NTSB that all PWCs must have some sort of off throttle steering system. I thought that there might be some sort of development information based on jet boats or a military application that speaks about it. Once again thanks for the time and information!

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Talk to Phil Cappel at Coast Guard HQ, Office of Boating Safety. They have been in on all the research done on off throttle steering since the mid to late 90's, in fact before NTSB got involved. 202-267-0984 is the office number. PCappel@comdt.uscg.mil is Phil's e-mail. He's the Division chief. I was only involved peripherally or I'd give you more info.

1 person likes this.
  5. pberardi

pberardi New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the lead I will contact him and see what I can find. Thanks alot!

6. pberardi

pberardi New Member

Docking Maneuvering Systems for Jet boats

I have been researching various areas of this topic and have found that some single pump jet boats in the 1990s might have been equipped with a docking control mechanism which kept the engine at a minimum rpm level to provide thrust for steering. Does anyone know more detail about such systems or what jet boat manufacturer might have employed this technology? Thanks for your helpl in this matter.