Prop puzzle

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by ejfla, Jul 3, 2007.

1. ejfla

ejfla New Member

I purchased a new prop for my '87 Yamaha 30ELH and seem to has an extra piece, which is called a reflector. Does it go between the prop and the black external skirt (I don't know what else to call it) or does it not even belong on this engine? Any help would be appreciated. :?:

2. redtech

redtech Senior Member

if it's a weed ring goes between prop and gearcase if it's a diverging ring it goes on the back of the prop.

3. ejfla

ejfla New Member

Thanks for replying, I'm going to try this so called "reflector" between the prop and gear case as you suggest. It does fit there, but I called Yamaha and the "tech" I spoke had no clue where it went, even after looking at the drawing of the lower gear assembly on his computer.

4. redtech

redtech Senior Member

if this a aftermarket prop then it may just be a weed ring some lowers need this becuase of the prop hub being smaller than the gearcase other boats just don't use them

5. ejfla

ejfla New Member

This is the correct prop which I bought directly from Yamaha, so I assumed that their people would be knowledgable about what they sell and what part goes where, but I guess not. I'll try what you said before. Thanks

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.