comments from sailinganarchy split

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Doug Lord, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

2. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Gollie...

Hello...

I love a good EGO bash - 'my boat - your boat' - how to do things right in a perfect world - or some fat *** trying to sell some **** he read in that months free subscription to Professional Boatbuilder...

Good chuckles...

I subscribed to Sailing Anarchy - but they look and sound and feel like Starbuck coffee head jocks with boats - lawyers and dentists who like to race on weekends - (four days a month if my math holds up) - so they can shout at and belittle their crews for their own gratification - because if they did same to their wives - they would lose their F'cking shirts...:)

Bet they all like a machine with a good long bow sprit that easily retracts...:)

SH.

3. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

You got that spot-on, Sean. Though I will say that there are some pretty good blokes there, as well.

Doug's upset on behalf of Ian Farrier, because I took Farrier to task for minding someone else's business. Farrier still thinks it's OK to ride roughshod on Corsair Marine, long after he has left the business.

Oh, just some fairly minor stuff such as:

1. He wants to tell them how to build the folding system, even though the item in question is now well out of Farrier's patent protection.
    2. He wants to be a pseudo whistleblower regarding boat building things that are well outside of his area of responsibility.
    3. He wishes to intimate that Corsair is producing faulty products that could lead to harm for unknowing owners.

In short, Mr. Farrier wants to assume the task of the Boating World version of Ralph Nader, the Dudley Do-Right of Multihulls, the obsessive compulsive gadfly who wants to set things right for sailors the world over. Please... give me a break.

Doug, you go tell Mr. Farrier that his self-appointed Mr Fix-it task has long ago been taken care of by the courts and the well-founded judicial systems in every country in which he has interests.

The courts, Doug... and not the public forum of Sailing Anarchy. Once he set foot into the morass of the SA Forum family, he immediately became fair game for anyone's opinion under the First Amendment rights of the U.S.. After all, if it's OK for him to shoot off his mouth about Corsair related products in an unfounded fashion, when he's so very far removed from the day to day business... then it's plenty OK for me to voice my own opinon about his apparently obsessive behaviors regarding same.

He doesn't get it both ways.

And you and your need to serve as Farrier's water boy shill.... it's beyond comment.

4. Sean Herron

Pull up your skirts...

Hello...

I am a heavy duty pro - next week - on Wednesday - I drop and position two 4 tonne Cats...

Cut in the webs and the limber holes this week on a 5 foot extension...

Wish me luck - I appreciate your posts...

SH.

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

=======================
    Neither do you: what Farrier(whom I greatly respect) says matters:
    "This really is none of your business Mr. Ostlind, and isn't it about time you took your personal vendetta elsewhere, one that has gone on ever since I caught you trying to use a trademark too close to mine. As I told you then, just get out there, design and build your own boats, and develop your own reputation, like I did. It just takes a lot of work - don't try and hang onto someone else's coattails.

I thought at the time that your attempt to use that trademark was just an honest mistake, but it appears you have achieved just about nothing since then, except try to attack me at every opportunity. It is starting to look like you were trying to do it the easy way, and now have a major grudge. Your only career seems to be as a forum groupie, offering advice to all and sundry, but, in reality, your only claim to any credibility or experience at present is that you once went for a ride on a large trimaran.

I guess corporate responsibility also does not mean much to you. Lives could be being put at risk, and you want it all covered over and kept quiet. I sure would not want to buy one of your designs with such a 'don't care' and 'cover it up' attitude. "

6. Chris Ostlind

Doug,

As the person who started this thread, I'm going to have to ask you to put your comments back on topic, or please excuse yourself from the thread. You have made your simple foray into the netherworld as the water boy of record. Those so inclined, have already read the post from Ian Farrier and moved on with their own opinions.

It's now time to move back to the topic of the Cabrillo Skiff for Kids, specifically, or even any other kid related entry level boat that have a direct relationship to the boat in question.

How about you observe some Forum decorum and let this opinion of yours fall into whatever place you put lost thoughts?

7. Sean Herron

Just F'uck off...

Hello..

I spent some time on a semi frozen Thames - not London - but London North America - that made me the kid who went out from his grandfathers trailer to the river and made a raft out of what was found in the lower fields and understood to be 'good enough' - I was a kid - I had no tools - I made due with what I found - I felt and remember feeling like - well - like a kid...:)

Uffa Fox - I would like to believe - felt the same...:)

Hell - same may account for my present state of mind...:)

SH.

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

9. tabman

tabman Junior Member

Thanks Chris!

Chris,

I wanted to take a moment to say thanks for the info you sent me and more importantly in your interest in designing a "kid's" boat. I have been a bit busy with work and hadn't had time to say thanks. The info on the tri you sent me has me quite interested in pursuing this type of thing for sailing with my disabled daughter. She thinks it is "cool" too.

Keep up the good work Chris, I look forward to communicating with you in the future when things calm down a bit and I can devote some time to what appears to be an interesting way to have even more fun with my kid on the water.

Doug Lord, you should be ashamed of yourself! Letting your vile comments slip into a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with it is reprehensible. What in the world have you ever done that even approaches the value of Chris's work on providing a vehicle (in all senses of the word) that contributes to the future of sailing and provides a family with a project that has such worth to a family? Please as a father and a life long sailor I implore you to take your jealousy somewhere else.

Sorry for the rant! Thanks again Chris!

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

======================
    It is BECAUSE Ostlind is attempting to sell plans for a childrens boat that I think Farriers comments are so important. If you can't see that you are doing yourself and your child a serious disservice!

11. tabman

tabman Junior Member

Doug, this will be the last time I respond to you on this subject.

1. I read the thread you refer to, so what!
    2. I do not for a moment believe you posted it for altruistic reasons.
    3 This is most important: I have been sailing for the last 45 years. I have been in the marine industry since 1978. I have built boats, I owned and ran a rigging shop, I have represented companies that every sailor would recognize, including spar builders, steering manufactures and cordage manufactures. I have been the sales manager for autopilot, electronics, and hydraulic systems manufactures. I have raced boats of every possible type from one design to offshore, and have spent years delivering boats. I was taught navigation and seamanship by the Navy and my father. So when it comes to deciding if a boat is safe and worth building I think I have a few thoughts that are worthwhile in that area.

This is even more important Doug, I am the father of two wonderful girls. They are my life. One happens to have cerebral Palsy. I adopted her 9 years ago and have devoted myself to giving her every opportunity to experience life in the fullest and that includes being on the water and sailing.

The reason for me posting all of this is not to inflate my ego. Rather I post this to inform you that you are speaking from a standpoint of ignorance when you made that statement.

Doug are you a parent? If not you simply have no idea how one would approach anything that involves the safety of their child. Any responsible parent with an iota of sailing experience does not need your self serving "advice".

Now for God's sake leave this thread alone! If you are any sort of a man you will confine yourself to relevant threads.

Again I apologize for the rant. I also apologize for letting Doug get to me. However if I did not post this I would feel as though I had not fully explained how I and any resonable parent would approach a project like this and how specious Doug's comments are.

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Guest

Tabman, I know who you are and I too have over 40 years in the boat business and 50 years sailing and racing experience. Over that time I have seen numerous people misrepresent their abilities and their experience. I believe that it is not too much to know what a famous designer thinks of a person you are considering trusting your daughters life to.
    Ostlind has not hesitated-on this forum or sailing anarchy- to misrepresent other peoples positions-something you, too, know about. These comments by Ian Farrier are not misrepresentations-they are the descriptions of a method of doing business that Farrier has experienced first hand. They are important
    when considering Ostlinds "capabilities".

13. Chris Ostlind

Anyone reading this thread and finding Doug's recent antics to be well beyond the expected behavior on this Forum... please avail yourselves of the opportunity to report said infractions to the Moderator.

There's a clean little button on the upper right hand corner of each post marked, Flag For Moderator, which allows you to make a written report of disruptive behavior directly to the List Owner/Moderator. Since Doug has not responded like a gentleman to a kind request to let this type of hostility go (from several members), I would be very grateful if you would do just that.

14. Sean Herron

The other day...

Hello...

We have a public pool here down at Kits Beach...

I went down there to double check on an idea I had...

Do kids float - well it turns out that they do...:)

Its a damned dinghy - its not like he's thinking about building a rocket and considering sending his kids into space...

SH.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.