Congradulations U.S.A. (The Mars Landing)

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by viking north, Aug 12, 2012.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Congradulations to the great U.S.A. on an amazing scientific achievement "The Mars Landing", from me personally to my U.S forum members, and on behalf of Canada to the citizens of the U.S. Great job Friends. ---Geo.

2. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Well, I personally didn't have much to do with it, aside a few letters to my representative and senators over the years urging them not to cut the space budget.:p

But thank you for the kind words. The folks at NASA impressed me with this one, too....

I remember years ago a couple of French hitchhikers spent the night. I had a framed poster on my wall of the Space Shuttle Columbia launching, and one of them noticed it. He pointed and said, "you have that here because it was America who did it, don't you?"

I felt like *****-slapping him. Instead I calmly told him, "no. I 'have that here' because it's the first real space ship ever launched -- one that's designed to come and go, instead of being a one-shot project. I'd 'have that here' even if the French had done it...."

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Maybe it was filmed in Hollywood? ;)

4. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I suppose that would explain why there was no green cheese; the budget couldn't handle that many pounds of it.

5. viking north

viking north VINLAND

For me it was like the moon landing all over again-- Just amazing. As the Vikings were path finders to North America so it will go down in history these great voyages of exploration. We are fortunate to experience these building blocks to other worlds.

6. hoytedow

Green cheese would be lunacy. Why doesn't Mars have a Van Allen belt?

7. hoytedow

Answer: No trousers. :)

8. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Hoyt --Green yes but not cheese. Greenbacks in the form of taxpayers contributions thus the thanks and congrads to the working Joe of the U.S. --

9. hoytedow

Another giant step by Mankind.
    On that note I am going to cheese it. :D

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

You're right. I'm getting the composition of my celestial bodies mixed up after my 10th 12-hr graveyard shift in a row, and a couple of bourbons isn't helping any. One more to go....

That applies to both the shifts and the bourbon.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Is that like a fan belt?

12. BPL

BPL Senior Member

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

What's amazing is the number of orbiting satellites around Mars currently. Enough so that parachute deployment for this lander was image captured by another orbiting device (MRO).

[​IMG]

About 12" per pixel resolution from 350 million miles away, is pretty astounding.

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Oh,-- ha ha, not again, more pictures of the Nevada desert.

I suppose the Martians have been told its just a weather balloon.

But yes congradulations USA even though 4 other countries were involved including 2 scientists from Uk university of liecester. But lets not dwell on that ---well done USA

Nope its ok you dont have to thank other countries --you don't even need to include them, we understand.

15. hoytedow

This was a human achievement, not just an American feat.
    "I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people."
    Isaac Newton
    Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/i/isaac_newton.html#bmHLtrRGbGPl8Ey2.99

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.