cataraft tubes (NRS) for sailing cat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by nmailman, Jul 17, 2008.

1. nmailman

nmailman New Member

Hi folks,
    I'm considering a custom sailing cat and came across a few inflatable options that seem too small and too expensive. My question is....is there any reason why I couldn't order 2 18ft 28" inflatable tubes (typically used for whitewater catarafts) and design a frame for a mast around them. My goal is to have a seaworthy and dry (not necessarily fast) catamaran for coastal/bays in and around Nova Scotia. It looks like a now defuct manufacturer (easysail) did the same and managed to sail across the atlantic.

-NMailman

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

You mean like the attached? I expect it would perform well with hulls like these. They weigh 10kg each so you can build a buoyant boat that is light.

Despite the desire to lift the nose on these hulls they perform better with pure conical ends as it gives a better underwater profile. The difference in drag is significant.

Rick W.

Attached Files:

3. nmailman

nmailman New Member

Yes, exactly what I'm looking for...doesn't have the blunt front end like some of the tubes I've been finding. Any ideas on where to get the tubes?
    -Nigel

4. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

They came from here:
    http://www.incept.co.nz/
    They were purpose made for a Quike. Not too heavy or large when folded so realistic for transport.

I specified the shape but that was the limit of my involvement.

Rick W.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.