confused about fiberglass layup process

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by therigwelder, Feb 13, 2012.

1. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Back to basics again.

3/4 ply would be overkill, 1/2 or 5/8 is all that's needed. 1/2 is the normal choice.

Polyester resin alone is almost worthless, so coating the under side with only resin isn't going to be of any value.

The plywood itself supplies adequate strength, the glass is just to tie it into the hull sides and protect it.

Multiple layers of cloth on plywood isn’t an ideal laminate schedule for polyester, stick with CSM as a first layer and 1 cloth on top of it.

2. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

A very good reference that is free to download on the net is the Gougheon Brothers on boatbuilding.
    http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/HowTo-Publications/GougeonBook 061205.pdf
    In addition almost every epoxy supplier has a good tutorial on glass types, general scantlings and best practice.
    http://www.raka.com/
    http://www.systemthree.com/

Hundreds of home boat builders are presently beavering away under clouds of epoxy dust and frequently document there work on sites like

http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=PG20
    http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/

3. sean-nós

sean-nós Senior Member

On my builds I used 6oz cloth it's put on dry the day before to let it settle.

[​IMG]

Then starting early the next day I give it the first wet out.

[​IMG]

let it set for 3 hours and do another and 3 hours later another then cut off any waste cloth with a blade while it's still green.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

10 gals is plenty. I always let the prime coat of resin set up before laminating fiberglass on to it, if I didn't the wood usually sucked resin from the cloth and left dry, resin starved areas.

Epoxy is such a good adhesive, that you can stick FG cloth directly to wood. Polyester isn't near as good an adhesive and odds are that cloth directly on wood can be easily peeled off. That's why mat is always used as a first layer on wood when using polyester, it sticks better for some reason.

Also the 'sole' does add a bunch of strength to hulls, especially in small, lightweight boats like a 16' trihull. What it mainly does, when it is glassed to the hull around all the edges, is stop the hull from twisting. The boat would be surprisingly flexible that way without the sole being glassed to the hull on all the edges.

Which brings up one more thing, no matter which resin you use, and that is be sure the hull is not twisted or bent out of shape by whatever is supporting it. Once you glass it all back together, that will lock in whatever shape it's in. If it's twisted when you glass in the sole, it will have a permanent twist. If the supports are bending in the hull anywhere, when it's glassed there is a good chance it will be permanent.

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

When you glass take the glass a little way up the sides .
    Resin to glass is worked out by weight .
    1 kg of glass will use close to 1.25kgs of resin to wet it out !! The size of the piece of material is not relevent its the weight of the glass !!
    Mix just enought to do the job and if you need a little more just make a small mix to finish it with !
    Differant types of glasses use differant quantities of resin ,but its your starting point !
    Your fine glass cloth will use less resin than the chopped strand matt you have !!. :)

6. archiechefaps42

archiechefaps42 Junior Member

tight on money

i like epoxy but tight on money. Can i buy in 5 gallon bucket and from were

7. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

These people seem to me to be the most conpetitive in pricing. And they are in your area so shipping should be low.
    http://www.raka.com/ They are in Ft. Pierce, 34982.

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Archie, contact me by email (ckick on my name) and I'll get you some epoxy cheaper then Raka. It's in state and shipping is next day to most places within FL.

9. therigwelder

therigwelder Junior Member

I think i figured out how to post pics on here,let me give it a try.This will be a picture of the boat iam redoing that i have so many questions about.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012