Mast proportions

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi. I'm designing a sailboat in Rhino for a "techlab" project at my high school. I've already designed the hull, keel, and rudder and now I'm moving onto the mast. I have a few questions about how to design it that I thought that people here might be able to answer (I've used this forum/site as a reference point throughout my project). My first question is what shape should the mast be? I'd rather not go with a plain circle, and I was thinking that maybe a modified ellipse would work well, but I wanted to ask. Also, if I'm making a mast that is 26' tall, how what should the mast dimensions be like in order to insure structural integrity. This is not exact, but I'd like to be at least somewhat realistic. If you need a material in order to make the decision, use carbon fiber. Thanks for your help.

2. Not A Guest

Not A Guest Junior Member

A mast 26' long could be anywhere from 2" - 5" in diameter in wood.

3. dougfrolich

dougfrolich Senior Member

Rigrite.com is the Kenyon Spars web site and has a wealth of info. including available spar sections and specifications. The Boat Data Book by Ian Nicolson is also a good reference for general specs. Good luck on your project.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for the help. I'll give those references a look.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.