concrete

Discussion in 'Materials' started by marco_45_54, Jan 13, 2013.

1. marco_45_54

marco_45_54 New Member

Hi I''ve been trying to price a concrete hull for a static house boat roughly 46ft x 16ft similar to what floating homes offer, I think it's a recent concept but big in Holland, reinforced mass concrete. I would want to berth on the tidal Thames but I have been quoted £20,000. by a UK company can anybody offer any help as to where I could source one cheaper.
    Thanks

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Try the makers of local floating pontoons, they are made from concrete and are very good.

The same fellas that make the marinas.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

If the quoted £20,000 includes delivery the price is very reasonable.
    Pouring concrete for a houseboat hull is a tedious job, more expensive than building construction. Also the mixture is different, with a large amount of sodium silicate added to prevent water absorption.

5. marco_45_54

marco_45_54 New Member

Thank for the links Michael, i''ll check them out, I didn't realise that they were used so much commercially, definitely an option.

Hi CDK, it was without delivery, and I got a lower price for aluminium boat kit with cabin the same size, but just long term low cost little maintenance I was swayed toward the concrete hull, but there seems to be only one supplier in the UK and just trying to keep my project within budget.

Thanks for your help.

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Don't be afraid of the concrete, the old ammo barges on Sydney Harbour are over 100 years old....no worries.

7. marco_45_54

marco_45_54 New Member

Thanks Landlubber, I guess it's just down to price at the end of the day, low maintenance of concrete would save a lot of money in a few years, just getting the right supplier..

8. 805gregg

805gregg Junior Member

I did some canvas work on a concrete boat, it was so dry he stored his paper products in the bilge.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.