Concrete counter tops

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Tungsten, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

IMG_3002.JPG Thanks for the info. I opted for the cheaper route of just plain add water type of counter top cement. Have two made so far two to go.
    Will start staining after they cure for awhile

2. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

IMG_3040.JPG Time to do the seams,i see a lot of options from cement,silicone or epoxy.Epoxy i can color,cement will no doubt crack as its outside.I can stain first then go with clear silicone overtop no sure how that will turn out.The edges are rounded over from the molds so the seam is about 3/8" wide

Any thoughts thx

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Epoxy will need some protection from UV, so if it's painted, this would be the reasonable choice. A polyurethane caulk would be easier to apply and would have UV resistance, so you can leave the surface unpainted. I would avoid silicone at all costs, as it contaminates the surface making subsequent applications of nearly anything, all but impossible without fisheyes. Clear polyurethanes will look good for a while, but the UV inhibitors will break down in time and it'll yellow out.

4. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

I have sealer going over top that would provide the uv protection for the epoxy. My concern is epoxy will be too stiff and crack. The polyurethane caulk is probably my best choice if i can tint it to match. Not sure if my sealer will go over the caulk or i put it on last.
    Thanks

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Epoxy is used on concrete all the time, without your concerns. This assumes the joints, between independent slabs aren't moving very much. If they are, you should consider something more tolerant of movement, like polyurethane caulk.

6. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

I'm not sure how much they will move,up north here so temps go from -30c to +30c here.If the epoxy does crack how hard will it be to remove/redo?
    Going to try and tint the poly sealant today,if that works then that will be the one I'll use.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.