Help for strakes

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by jfblouin, Dec 2, 2005.

1. jfblouin

jfblouin Senior Member

Hi

I just finish fairing on my hull and before primer, I need advice on strakes.

For fiberglass layup, I sand strake edge to a round shape. During fairing I reshape the strake edge but now my edge are in putty so I dont want to keep them too sharp. What is the maximum radius allowed for good water séparation on strake edge. I look in many books without succes.

Thanks

I'll begin primer next week.

Attached Files:

2. fede

fede Senior Member

I've seen many do sharp strakes in putty with no problem...it has to be a good strong putty though (epoxy putty is very good)
    There is no maximum radius as I know,but the sharper you get the best your strakes will serve

3. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Fede is right. The purpose of the strakes (or chine) is to have the water separate cleanly fom the hull bottom so no eddies are formed. Eddies are residual resistance that slows down the boat. 1/8" or 1/16" is common. If too sharp, it will break quite often.

4. jfblouin

jfblouin Senior Member

Thanks a lot
    I will reshap them with 1/16" radius. They are in epoxy putty with a lot of silica fumed

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.