Personal licensing requirements

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Manie B, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Gents i seem to get different answers depending on who you ask.

What are the personal licensing requirements ( for sailing open water - 2 crew ) in your country

For me to get a international license to drive a car anywhere in the world is simple as i already have a legal drivers license (permit) in my country

i am told by one man that my skippers license and a navigation exam and a VHF radio license is all good, end of story

i am sure that in a third world country it is probably ok but what happens when i get to other countries all over the world

i also read on one of the other forums that the license / test / exam to move around the Med is easy to get in Greece

just a bit confused at the moment :D

2. masalai

masalai masalai

As far as I can ascertain it (your current certification) is acceptable in this (Australia) 3rd world country, just so long as you know the international rules of navigation at sea and can acquire info on any local quirks (pilot guides and such).....? - wouldn't hurt to also get HF certificate (something like a "radio operators certificate of competence".....

3. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

Nowhere in the free world do you need any sort of licence to sail your own boat for your own pleasure where ever you please.

That's the definition of the 'free world'.

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

If this is a recreational boat, that is a private yacht you sail yourself, and do not take paying passengers, you do not need a license in the USA. Some states require residents of their state to take an exam on their boating skills and issuue them a card stating they passed the exam, but that is not a license and it is not required in all states.

Visitors to the US do not need this.

5. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Norwegians may be a bit defended by that statement.. they are actually having that kind of legislation. Believe Estonians too..
    To be noted thou that subjects of other countries should be judged according the legislation of their origin (I think..:confused: )

6. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

Yes, for whatever reason the authorities are far more concenred with what you put out over the airwaves than any damage you might bring with your vessel. It'd be interesting to see some stories from people who regularly ply North America's Great lakes.

7. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

depends on the port of Registry on the back of yer boat, and the ensign you wear, which of course should correspond. The majority of the world will allow you to follow your national registry and your dream - as long as you keep moving, slowly, buty keep moving you must, settle ashore become stuck in one place and you will find you have to follow their rules. Logical really. As for the radio licence - again follow your local rules, but remeber as in all things be polite and observe the local customs and you'll get by, above all grovel like hell and the majority of officials world wide will help you - tell them how IT IS DONE IN YOUR COUNTRY and you know your arse will be kicked, be nice explain that your a poor foreigner that wants to learn and they will help (mostly, as for them as won't, that's for you to sort out, called life experience!)

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Whaaaaat You telling me I must register my bottles of port? - am I still allowed to drink it or must I declare it to customs and pay a tax on what I have drunk?

9. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

Good sound advice, Mike. Mass, you'd never be able to afford that tax mate. Seasons greetings all!

1 person likes this.
  10. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

As Canada has recently resigned membership in the "free world", all operators of motorized pleasure craft must show proof of operator competency as of Sept09.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you were born before April 1, 1983 and operate a pleasure craft fitted with a motor that is 4 m and over in length, you will require proof of operator competency by September 15, 2009.

Isn't an operator card just another word for a licence? ^

No, unlike a driver's licence, the operator card cannot be revoked and is good for life.

What is "proof of operator competency"? ^

Proof of operator competency can take one of three forms:

1. A Pleasure Craft Operator Card;
    2. Proof of having successfully completed a boating safety course in Canada prior to April 1, 1999; or,
    3. A completed rental-boat safety checklist.

How do I obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card? ^

To obtain a Pleasure Craft Operator Card you need to pass an accredited test. The first step is finding an accredited course provider in your area.

Do I need to take a course before I write the test? ^

Taking a boating safety course is strongly recommended regardless of age or experience. However, you can challenge the test without taking a course.

Do I need proof of competency to operate a non-powered pleasure craft? ^

No. The Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations only apply to pleasure craft fitted with a motor.

Do I need proof of competency to paddle a pleasure craft fitted with a motor and the motor is turned off? ^

Yes.

Do I need proof of competency to operate a sailboat? ^

You need proof of competency if the sailboat is fitted with an auxiliary motor, even when under sail.

What is acceptable proof of competency for non-residents? ^

For non-residents, proof of competency can take one of three forms:

1. A Pleasure Craft Operator Card;
    2. A completed boat rental safety checklist (for power-driven rental boats); or,
    3. An operator card or equivalent issued by their state or country*.

*NASBLA issued cards are recognized for citizens of the United States.

Do the Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations apply to non-residents? ^

The Regulations apply to non-residents if:

* They operate their pleasure craft in Canadian waters for more than 45 consecutive days or,
    * They operate a pleasure craft that is licensed or registered in Canada (including rented or chartered boats).

The Regulations do not apply to non-residents who operate their pleasure craft (licensed in a country other than Canada) in Canadian waters for less than 45 consecutive days.

11. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Interesting; now what if my boat has a motor that is under 4 m in length, 4metres is a bloody big engine! several thousand horses at least!! Think an engineer's licence would be more use!

If you were born after April 2 1983 you obviously need nothing - so anybody under 25 can go crazy with no qualifications at all - most parts of the world want extra quals on the under 25's because youth is known to be generally unreliable!! WOW!

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Who is the clown that turned OFF the "auto word wrap" feature of their web browser? or set a physical fixed page width?

13. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Walrus.....
    Government gobeldy-gook, we actually have various age/power restrictions as below. I apologize for the previous post which gives a different impression.

What was not included in the previous post was that everyone born after April 1 1983 has to have an operators permit today....I think....:D
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most significant changes include the requirement for operators of pleasure craft to have an operator card and the age requirements to operate craft fitted with a motor. The two tables below summarize the requirements:

Age-horsepower Restrictions

How this applies to operators of pleasure craft fitted with a motor and used for recreational purposes

Power restrictions
    Under 12 years of age, and not directly supervised** Can operate a vessel with no more than 10 hp (7.5 KW)

Between 12 years and under 16 years of age, and not directly supervised** Can operate a vessel with no more than 40 hp (30 KW)

Under 16 years of age Not allowed to operate a PWC***
    16 years of age and over No power restrictions

.** Directly supervised means: accompanied and directly supervised by a person 16 years of age or older.

***Personal Watercraft

Operator Competency Requirements
    How this applies to operators** of pleasure craft fitted with a motor and used for recreational purposes Date at which proof of competency required on board

All operators born after April 1, 1983 September 15, 1999

All operators of craft under 4 m in length, including personal watercraft September 15, 2002

All operators September 15, 2009

** Applies to non-residents of Canada and whose pleasure craft is in Canada more than 45 consecutive days. Operator card or equivalent issued to a non-resident by their state or country will be considered as proof of competency.

14. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Tad,
    I'm sorry to hear about Canada's decision to leave the free world. I'm just south of you and we too have fallen prey to a government that is all together too interested in protecting us from ourselves. The requirements for getting a card in WA. are a joke and do nothing to keep idiots from being on the water.

LOL, Many of my fellow boaters leave me less than impressed with thier marine skillset. But I fished in AK for many years and have high standards.:)
    I often say that if boating was really that dangerous the beaches would be littered with bodies. The beaches of Puget Sound remain virtually corpse free and I don't believe the new requirements will keep them any cleaner.

15. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Tolly...

Well....I don't really have any objection to the card, if it saves a few kids from themselves or worse (hurting some innocent pedestrian) that's a good thing. A little more education won't hurt anybody. I do object to the foolishness of chasing people down to inspect their card. But we accept car licenses without much objection.

I still have to take the test and get a card, $25 CAD to do it on line. I've only been running boats for 40+ years....

I live in a small bay with a tight entrance channel, there's a 20' day marker (lit) in the entrance channel, only one side is passable. There is also a green can buoy inside the harbour. The entrance rock is named "Shipyard Rock" for a very good reason, endless source of income. Dozens of folks try (every year) to go on the wrong side of these markers....in broad daylight! If one tries it a bunch behind him will follow, apparently no one has a chart. In recent years we've noticed a decline (slight) in those choosing the wrong way...we blame it on the video chart plotters that are now standard on every bayliner....

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.