History back to go forward??

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by oldcroc, Oct 19, 2007.

1. oldcroc

oldcroc Junior Member

Lady's and Gentlmen
    For someone who has no and I state No design background, In my mind are a few, perhaps long lost home truths or thoughts. A long range crusier was driven by air, the wind, a coastal crusier was driven the same way by air, that was current cutting edge technology from Noha till around 1900 since then motors in one form or another have come and gone, as "Fuel 's" came and went YES WENT all carbon based, we are like the last of the Dinosaurs, try and Imagin if you will, what it was like to be around at the last big change. Bront'i was stoppin and eatin trees T'rex would eat anything :cool:
    We have arrived at the same point, or nearly, (we have a head start) we are the T'rex of the modern day, IE who give's a inter conti flying fish about the big HOLE in the sky!! I'm no green type person,I hunt and fish for fun! having said that, get rid of all the cows which live in South America alone and cut co2 emmissions by 60 % worldwide, cow's fart more than a All the desiel boats and cars put together on a day to day basis !!! There is enough beef down there at current consumption rates to supply everyone on earth with beef for the next 25 years, so GREENS go kill cows!!!
    Back to history ..... we have used up all the oil? Nearly? so what is next? Sail?? Somehow in some form Perhaps, but who wants to spend 80% of their life at 45 Degree angle, I'm not one! And thats what pushes me away from some great yacht designs!!! A yacht with "thing's" that stick out of it upwards, and then you have to tie your bed sheets to it to make it move get real guys. there has to be somthing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: So there Is'nt :confused: Ok ok ok. So I have to live with this wind thing that is full of "bull" and I cannot control, It can come and go as it please's and leave me in places of great peril mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.:p So I can get my mind around this, But but..... your whole life at ///////\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////\\\\ degrees as each wave go's past or on each tack, hours on end?
    How about an interior that can stay upright even though the outside wants to be upsidedown????? Hull within a hull? Run it on gimbals roller bearings, the ribs of the outer hull become the braces or supports holding the inner hull, allowing the inner hull to swing free along with it's own seprate ballast, it would not need to go through 360 degrees that's being stupid I might be old but not mad, but 90 would be nice 45 each side with some kind of stop, at least 90% of my time would be at the correct angle for humans, upright!!! In my mind is a tube within a tube, if you can picture it, this may also help with ballasting the "outer" hull with less weight, though thinking about that statement, displacement will be more, weight volume ETC would it need less or more on the main keel? to keep the outer hull trimmed, could this work or am I thinking out off my Bottom :?:
    Regards to all Glyn

2. chandler

chandler Senior Member

Great idea if you have a ton of money.
    Why is it that everyone from the developed world seems to think that those from the the underdeveloped world have no right to destroy thier environment as we have already done to ours???

3. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Disregarding all the eco political babble, you want not to heel under sail?
    There are several ways to accomplish that.
    Multihulls are maybe the most efficient.
    Som monohulls with canting keel and/or mast and/or moving ballast also stay quite upright.

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

The answer might lie in something like the Flettner style rotor ship - could sail to 12 degrees of apparent wind, little heeling motion as the force is in the direction of travel, uses very small amounts of fossil fuel - with modern engineering, the vibration problems can be ironed out.

The hull within a hull was tried with disatrous results in an English channel ferry late last century - but maybe with modern computers like the ones that keep non aerodynamic jets in the air something can be done!

Good news for all you worriers - the future big solar mirror in the sky will beam down all the power we need, and let us stop killing trees and burning fossil fuel .... real soon now ..... any day ....... *they* all say ....

5. RatliffFranklin

RatliffFranklin Previous Member

Hydrocarbon supplies

The tar sands in Alberta, Canada.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.