Concept design 25m river vessel

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by micspoko, Jan 30, 2011.

1. yipster

yipster designer

a river boat yes but what river its takes with 50 aboard and in most country's there are regulations on passenger vessels to obay
    i liked the newer adam sightseeing boats with complete opening roofs passing bridges they must be low and are another concept alltogether
    looking up these boats i came acros this funny pic of a hydrogen powered one that mentioned it only had a silent whispering airo
    http://www.lovers.nl/nl/nieuws-en-evenementen (witch made me frown seeing the pic)
    think your victorian style boat still looks better than this floating dutchman

2. Alik

Alik Senior Member

The design should start from study of material/weight, speed, etc. - that is SOR. After that, one can decide if it can be a cat or not. I do not see any advantages of cat if built in steel.

3. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

If conventional propeller, is it in a tunnel?

4. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

5. vignesh

vignesh Junior Member

Sir,
    I need help regarding river going passenger vessels .
    i need data of around 15 vessels of the above kind ,can u say me where i can find it.

Is there any special scantling calculation need to followed for such ships or it is as same as conventional ship

than you in advance

6. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

reminds me of a sightseeing boat I heard about in USA

It was on a slow river or lake and mostly for older people.

Over the years they added an enclosure to the top, and a few other things like a cabinet for dishes, heater, different and nicer chairs, etc.

Then one day when everyone walked over to one side to see a bird or something it capsized and killed a bunch of people.

Investigators were surprised it operated for so long without doing that.

7. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

It would seem you have a lot more people(seats) on one side than. I would build it as a monohull with twin sponsoon/keels on the sides. It would increase displacement therefore less draft but would add stability.

8. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

Nice design, but the top deck bears all the hallmarks of 3rd world ferry boats that have capsized in rough seas. In my opinion the top deck should be narrower along the longitudinal axis (from bow to stern). A narrower deck will keep the loads along the centerline where the boat is most stable. What you're looking to avoid is the following scenario:

1. Large wave or boat wake comes crashing into one side of the boat.
    2. Passengers on the top deck wrongly react and run away from the wave.

Result: The energy from the wave plus the people running to the opposite side of the upper deck end up capsizing the boat.

Time and again we see these ferry boats that are over capacity with upper decks stacked vertically versus tapered (narrower on top).

They're a recipe for disaster under the noted circumstances.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

I do see you have the seats on the top deck centered, which is good. However, all it takes is an overzealous owner to remove them, have a wedding party up there or <fill in your overloaded upper deck scenario> and you have a capsize waiting to happen.

The current design looks OK for calm river traffic & a boat captain who uses wise judgement not to overload the top deck. e.g. There are only 36 seats on the top deck, so only 36 people should be allowed up there.

10. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

This vessel has been designed for river where was a large restrictions for max draft an air draft

There will be a restricted number of persons on top deck (in view of stability)

And I attached 2 files with a project river vessel. 1 foto have a 2 version of ship

For do a project like this most important is a technical data about rivers where the ship will be use - max draft, max airdraft, max beam, max lenght, the high of wave. And the bottom of ship mast be a strong becase when the ship have a small accident like ride on bottom of the river (never know what is on the bottom of river) the bottom shell must withstand

Attached Files:

• 1.pdf
      1.pdf
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
    • 2.pdf
      2.pdf
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
  11. JosephT

JosephT Senior Member

For rivers & your design intent...I like it. I've been down the Nile on some very similar boats (bit larger & with cabins on the main deck). Very nice.

The modeling & wooden trim rendering appear well done too. What tools did you use?

12. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

I use o a software rhinoceros with vray engine rendering

13. vignesh

vignesh Junior Member

Sir,
    can you help me regarding scantling calculation.

does any classification societies has any rules for a small river cruise.

14. micspoko

micspoko Senior Member

I see your post "design of small passenger ship" and the ship it will be for 300 people. It`s very large work to do in project like this and the cost of this project is big too. So you have do it yourself or have to pay someone who knows how design vessel like you want to

15. vignesh

vignesh Junior Member

yes ,can i get a lines plan of a 40-50 m river vessels .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.