Compromise

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Willallison, Mar 15, 2010.

?

Does the process of producing a complete design invariably involve compromise?

1. Yes - compromise is an integral part of the design spiral

36 vote(s)
    97.3%
  2. No - Every aspect of a design can be the optimum

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dskira

dskira Previous Member

It is not a question of approval nor diplomatics behavior, it is to design the best boat possible for the mission asked, in time and in budget.
    The rest is just not realy interresting
    It's call naval architecture and boat building. And yes, compromises is all the time, for the respect of the task at hand and the customer who make our trade possible, and allow us to dream in our free time.

2. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Your view. Stick with it.

I will continue to take an uncompromising approach to engineering always aiming to optimise within the constraints I set for my own projects or set by those who employ me for paid work.

I accept that many are less demanding than I.

Rick

3. dskira

dskira Previous Member

I will.
    You are guessing. You do not know how demanding other are and I don't know how demanding you are.
    How you judge the hability of other to accomplish the task demanded by the customer.
    I am sure you are very accurate on your design, but assuming is not realy being a demanding person. It is just a guess game. And you are not a guess man.
    So do we have a real contradiction here between who you want to be and who you are.
    Don't take it personaly, it is just a word game at that point.
    And as I said, we can continue for ever.
    But I have to leave you because you know what: I have a boat to design and an other to built.
    Lucky me.
    see Ya

4. Oyster

Oyster Senior Member

I am neither a diplomat or a wallpaper engineer. But I do have a life and I do shop on occasions at Walmart and also really do not care who know it either.:cool:

Actually now that you mention it, it has been brought to our attention that you have not compromised or optimized much at yacht design during your day job with the shuffle between three forum threads this past week .:D . Really relax and tell us about your real to life uncompromising boats, since I am out of the loop. I enjoy pictures. Got any while we take a break in this thread? TIA

5. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

So, let me get this straight:

Hmmm..let me see, I was taught about:

Bernoulli’s theorem
    Archimedes theorem
    Froude’s laws
    Prantl’s theorems
    Kelvin Wave patterns
    Netwon’s Laws
    Rankine’s theorem
    Von Mises’ theory
    Castigliano’s theorem
    Val der Waal’s theorem
    Binomial theorem
    Laplace Transforms
    Green functions
    Euler’s theorem
    Timoshenko’s theory
    Miller Indices
    Peierls-Nabarro theorems
    Paris-Erdogan theorems

Well… the list is near endless, but you get the point. I have been taught these theorems/subjects and more.

Ah, so if you consider yourself and engineer you must have just regurgitated what you been taught.

But you can’t, by your own definition, because you are then just peddling (pun intended) all the same theorems and laws of science and engineering as everyone else…..unless of course you have come up with your own laws and theorems in Engineering/Physics.

In which case if you have come up with your own laws/thermos which must be so much better than all the regurgitated rubbish taught, can you please enlighten us and the rest of the Engineering/Scientific world of these said laws and theorems, where we may find them, scrutinise them and then finally have every single law/theorem and book changed to show the laws/theorems now known to scientific world as being Willoughby’s laws/theorems.

I'm sorry I didn’t appreciate that the whole Scientific and Engineering world is wrong by regurgitating the rubbish that has been taught for centuries.

Ah...is that it? No laws or theorem to enlighten the whole scientific and engineering world? Oh do come on…either you are taking the piss or you’re seriously deluded.

However, I suspect this has nothing to do with being taught or what they have read. Since, as noted below, there appears to be an extreme distaste regarding Authority. In other words, being told as opposed to being taught. Which is more control issue and a mental state of mind, and nothing to do with being taught or reading something.

Which goes back to my premise, it is your opinion and an opinion alone. Since you clearly do not like the regurgitated things being taught…you have come up with your own laws/theorems, by calling it an opinion.

That is the beauty of being self-delusional, one cannot be wrong.

I was taught, having such opinions of oneself is called arrogance and ignorance.

Finally, as for mikejohns
    One thing that occurs to those that have read and been taught by those in authority such as teachers and lecturers, is the ability to comprehend words. Without comprehension communication is nay impossible.

Since, it is based upon incompatabilities or as the OED says as its definition: inconsistencies...which are what???

Inconsistent (a.), “Discordant, incompatible (with); acting at variance with one’s own principals; not matching a set of standards, ideas etc”. OED.

In other words where there is more than one ‘thing’ existing at the same time (such as the design of a boat) they both cannot be true because the facts for each are different. That is to say: the hull is the best of the best, the prop is the best of the best, the seakeeping is the best of the best...and so on.

Ergo, whatever solution one arrives at, it is achieved by getting the most out of each inconsistency. If a system has an inconsistency in it, it is not perfect or not compatible by definition since they are invariance with each other. Which means that whatever is the final solution it cannot be the best of the best....since any inconsistency in a system is not the best system...it is a non perfect state! :eek:

As I noted in my earlier post, such heavy weights as Rawson and Tupper, to name a few, with a proven track record of real world design, once being the head of UK’s naval design office, with their words of wisdom regarding compromise** and approach to design, juxtaposed against Rick Willoughby and his er…um…little peddle boats.

**Compromise (n, v) “..a solution to a problem in which two or more things cannot exist together as they are, in which each thing is reduced or changed slightly so that they can exist together…” OED.

Now which would I give more weight too…the man in authority (taught by people in authority) with a significant proven track record of real designs or the man with a shed in his back garden and his own opinions, oops, laws of science and engineering.

Make up your own minds….unless of course Rick’s Law demands otherwise.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  6. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

7. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

Thanks Ad Hoc, your post was the first step: Socratic demonstration of the prejudices. Let's see if Rick is ready for the second part maieutics itself, and arrive at the aletheia.

Rick, do not confound scientific and/or engineering authority who is recognized by his peers as a master, with political or religious authority.
    The legitimacy of the first comes from the fertility of his scientific theories, and/or from his engineering accomplishments, it's purely immanent and objective for everybody. The scientific theory gives good explanations and enough accurate predictions, the engineered object is a chef d'oeuvre. Simply that works...

No need of tyranny, transcendent justifications, sacred principles, sacred books or illuminated revelation.

8. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

#97 posts on a witch hunt fellas, isn't it time to drop this one, we do not want to loose any more good members over English Grammer basically.

#100 and its OUT.

9. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

There is always somebody out there trying to re-invent the wheel. I too followed this path for a while and it was not until I abandon this method that I was able to secure patents. Start where others have left off .

When you don't stand up to peer review its time to examine your methods.

10. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Come on, guys... Rick's entitled to his opinion as much as you are to yours. You don't have to like it, but it would be nice if you were to respect that he's entitled.

I think we can agee that this thread has seen better days and simply leave it to float, gracefully, into the past.

This makes 100 posts, let's end it here.

11. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Nop. I prefer 101 :p

12. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

:D LOL

oops!...102...

13. Pierre R

Pierre R Senior Member

Just one more. The count is 37-0

This from the Coastal Cruiser thread dated 1-23-2008 post number 20

Hard to resist. I am still wading through that thread. Rick seems very sensible up to the point I have read.

1 person likes this.
  14. apex1

apex1 Guest

Lets say 94 wıth a value................

we would just have to delete some of Rıcks and Chrıs Ostlınds comments...

Regards
    Rıchard

and welcome back Daniel. John and Rıchard!?!?! We are alive. and we fıght nonsense when it appears..............

15. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

You couldn't just let this go, rather than issue a comment that you thought was cute, but was, in fact, an unnecessary bit of piling on? Come on, Pierre, just let it go, will ya?

You see what you guys are doing with these posts beyond the point of no return, don't you? You're creating the very environment that our moderator, Jeff, has asked to stop. This isn't about an objective discussion anymore regarding compromise in design, it's now turned to a personalized slanging match that will only go to one place.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Jeff doesn't step in here and cut a whole bunch of this nonsense right out of the thread and lock the dang thing for good.

Please, guys... Let it go?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.