Excel quit the scene, need a pro.

Discussion in 'General Computing' started by apex1, Feb 13, 2009.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

Excel quit the scene, need Help !

Hello dear fellow members,

after installing a Microcrap hotfix my Excel disappeared. All the other office 2000 applications work properly, but when I try to open a Excel file I´ll get asked to insert the office installation cd. I am still in Turkey and will stay here for several more weeks (or even some month), so I do´nt have my software installation Cd´s here.
    I can go through "start" "new office document" "excel sheet" and create a new sheet, then open the existing one, but when I try to save it, i´ll be asked again to insert my cd.

Any idea what went wrong? Maybe i have to fix the file allocation?
    A system restore did not help.

Would like to work again,please help.
    Regards
    Richard

2. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Have you tried to check the "General" tab in Tools-->Options menu command?
    Somewhere in that tab you'll see a line which reads something like "Default file folder" (I have the italian version, so don't know if that is the correct english translation). That's where Excel will save your work, so check out if the save path is correct. If it reads "E:\" or whatever your CD drive's name is, that could be the reason.

3. apex1

apex1 Guest

You mean "in the opened Excel sheet"? Have checked that, setting is correct!

Prob is Excel does´nt open without a trick. Windows installer appears and asks for cd. see above

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

May I push the topic up a bit?

5. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

do what I did - dump Microsoft.
    Download OpenOffice bundle software for free and you have a more stable platform that is in my view better than MS.
    Even saves files in a PDF at the touch of a button and the new version on its way can even open PDF files to edit...

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thank you Wynand. I have Star Office (now open office) in use since 1994, and agree with your statement.
    Unfortunately I need Excel daily to be compatible with my architects and constructors.
    I must solve this problem, if I like it or not.
    Regards
    Richard

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

No help in sight.........................
    Microbrain would assist, but charge me 72€ just for one e-mail enquiry! Hefty rates, no wonder there are copies all around. I could buy the actual version here for some 40 lira (30$), but really do´nt like that way.
    Any better idea?

8. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Apex, are you sure Open Office's Calc spreadsheet is not compatible with Excel? I think it is, both in read and in write (save as ".xls" option) and is worth trying, imho. ;)

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

Thank you, yes since ages Star office / Open office is able to handle xls files. Unfortunately it does´nt keep the styles / formatting properly. Means, if I receive a file from my architect in Vietnam, do my changes and send it back, he has a document thats different from his original. And thats daily part of my business.
    Regards
    Richard

10. Jack Daniels Eq

Jack Daniels Eq Shockwave

Try click on the executable for excel, also try to reinstall it - its somewhere in the main Office hierarchy, or try the repair menu, also in Office main menu
    Sorry - havent used MS anything in 5 years - a little rusty
    BR>Jack

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

Solved the prob, bought a new!

Thanks Wynand and daiquiri !!!

12. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Apex do what I did introduced everyone I work with to openoffice... They all switch because it give less trouble and pdf thing. Now they all work together Macs, Pc, and Linux...

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

As mentioned above, that is no solution! And I work with Star Office since ages (1993).
    Regards
    Richard

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.