Thermoglass fabric for laminating?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by BrettinVA, Jun 30, 2018.

1. BrettinVA

BrettinVA Junior Member

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not.

Can thermoglass fabric - which is a type of heavy fiberglass cloth 17.7oz be used with resin like your regular marine oriented fiberglass cloth? A friend found a roll of it in a building he bought. It looks like standard weave cloth but it's heavy and treated. I looked up the company and the specs on the product but they don't mention any marine uses or specs related to resin application.

it's -http://www.amatex.com/product/161/g19pc33-60-31g.html

It didn't cost anything so it's no loss either way.

2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

It is normally used with special resins in forming heat shielding, so it technically could be used with common maritime resins.

But why?

Its greatest feature of extreme heat resistance is not commonly needed for boats. And its very coarse texture telegraphs as an undesirable surface texture.

Better to sell it to a boiler maker and use the proceeds to buy your desired fabric.

3. BrettinVA

BrettinVA Junior Member

Thank you for the reply. I'm going to test a piece of it with epoxy. The texture is a whole lot smoother than 1708. I'm not building a surfboard so I could care less about the texture. I seriously doubt I'll have the opportunity to sell it to a boiler maker - LOL, so it's either the garbage or use it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.