compound curve windows?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by sigurd, Apr 1, 2008.

1. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

can you bend some kinds of "plastic" windows in two directions, with heat?

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Yes. It is an expensive process to have done. I assume because a mold is required (made perhaps from wood, into which the heated plexi settles or is driven by air. I'm sure someone who knew the process could do it at home, but I don't know where one could learn the details besides experimenting.

Alan

3. tinhorn

tinhorn Senior Member

I found a lot of info online a few months ago - Google "heatforming acrylic" or similar terms. I'm sure anyone who could create a boat requiring compound curves could master the process of heat-forming the plastic sheets. It seemed kind of low-tech.

4. nero

nero Senior Member

I found a .pdf a few months ago. Compound curves can be done cheaply and by do-it-yourself.

The technique of interest is drape forming. Many things can work for the form. Wood, Fiberglass, Aluminum, etc. One of the tricks to give a smooth surface is laying 3 mm felt over the form.

Not sure I am going to try this. A flush curved window would be at greater risk to fender lines and other objects that would leave scratches.

5. sigurd

sigurd Pompuous Pangolin

yes but driving a kite one needs good view.. would you send me the pdf?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.