composition of luan(and glass)

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by eurotk1, Oct 8, 2004.

1. LAKERUNNER, do you find that the plywood that has both sides of same wood has that bend wet - hold the bend when dry? I say that because I used 1/8" Birch and made a 8' WW II PT boat out of it. Was a piece of cake to wet bend and hold dry shape. Was I lucky?

2. lakerunner

lakerunner Junior Member

you'll have great success with 1/8' birch. solid . or light laminate Birch has outstanding Bending properties .It is used to make some acoustic guitars. steamed for very short period of time and you can do just about anything with 1/8'' hard woods . It may have been luck making your choice . but fact as to the properties of your choice .
    I was originally stating that 1/4'' luan is fine for small boat projects under low power.
    And sub-flooring material is just not the answer to boat building. there are better product for the task at hand with comparable pricing.

post a picture . Of your PT Boat like to see it . good job

3. It was luck. I paid a cabinet maker to teach me in 2 minutes how to do the bow curves perfectly. Luck and skill work great together. I have pictures and a scanner to send them . How do I get them to you? Or this site?

4. lakerunner

lakerunner Junior Member

Good ? . I have not found how to attach a file to this part of the site. You can go to the Gallery and post one. It will take you through it step by step.
    Or you can just e-mail to me if you like .
    djvcwg@yahoo.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.