cypress hull cost vs fiberglass cost.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by boatbuilder41, Mar 28, 2013.

1. boatbuilder41

boatbuilder41 Senior Member

I know a lot of people dont know what i am talking about. Most have own
    ed several boats but not many people have owned a wood plank boat. Didnt a wood boat cost less to build a few decades ago. I love my wood boats but the price of this cypree is killing me.it is all #1 grade 2" thick deadhead cypress. It must cost a fortune to build this boat in todays lumber prices.anybody know any cheap sawmills.

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you've been building for a while, which I suspect you have, you should have the local mills nailed down. I'm fortunate to have several in my area and each knows who I am and if I have a 6 pack in hand, they know I'm looking for a deal.

Know you enemy (or friend, depending on how you look at it), so if you show up in the morning, bring a dozen donuts. A sawer will cut a lot of material for some donuts. If you're there Friday afternoon, bring beer. They'll cut up some cull for the beer. I once built a raw hull from a mill's cull (mostly).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.