Float layup details

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by bruceb, Nov 28, 2010.

1. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

I am about to build some new floats for my trailable size (24-30') tri and I am interested in some "real world" layup details- foam density, thickness, and skin details. These would be a one off replacements for 1/4" ply floats, with hand layup and could be vac-bagged. This is a KISS project- if it gets too complex, I will rebuild in ply/strip which I am very comfortable with and has worked for the last 35 years. Rot does and has happened though, and any weight saved with foam is an added bonus. The designer is long dead and can't help, and most threads I have found deal with larger boats. Thanks for any info, B