Composite Replacements for Plywood

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by westsail42, Sep 26, 2005.

1. westsail42

westsail42 Junior Member

Has anyone tried this stuff?

http://www.coosacomposites.com/

PU foam sandwiched with roving.

I am getting ready to tab in floor timbers and bulkheads in my (now bare) WestSail 42.

I was originally planning on doing fiberglass over closed cell PVC foam.

But, tabbing this stuff seems like it would save a lot of time. Though it would be more expensive. (I am looking to save time here).

My local supplier has it at $188 per 4x8 sheet, 3/4" thick, 20 lbs/cu ft density.

They claim it can be sanded, painted, laminated. Basically anything you would normally do with plywood.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I've used for decks and cabin soles instead of plywood. It is amazingly stiff and works easily with saws and drills. The dust is as ithcy as grinding fiberglass.

3. drs3317

drs3317 New Member

Gonzo,

I too am planing a project with it and had some questions. I was thinking of using the 3/4" Bluewater.

Which grade did you use and what method of bonding did you use? Did it appear to asorb moisture?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I used it as a core with polyester resin. It doesn't appear to absorb water. However, if the laminate is done correctly, there shouldn't be any water intrusion.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.