Two sided infusion at one time

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by d21d3q, Sep 16, 2014.

1. d21d3q

d21d3q New Member

I am going to make kiteboard. As core I have 8mm plywood and I want to cover it with fiberglass.

Question is if it may be possible to make it in one shot. I found video where is shown infusion of kiteboard but it is not told if it have been done with one shot.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NFdIi9CJ_M
    If I would make stack like this:
    bag
    (spreading mat)
    peel ply
    fiberglass
    core
    firberglass
    peel ply
    (spreading mat)
    bag
    and place hoses like on video, would I be able to infuse both sides at once?
    I've read something about perforation of core, but as long as resin flow is from side to side it seems to be not necessary.

With such small distances do I still need resin spreading mat?

Another question is if it is better to apply one thick layer of fiberglass or two thinner layers?

2. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

If your core is perforated you can infuse both sides at once.

or if you put flow media on both sides, run your inlet hoses all around the board and infuse inward and on your outlet drill a hole through the center of the board so the vacuum reaches the other side.

You will need flow media, your taking a big risk without it.

3. gdavis

gdavis Junior Member

Hello d21... Kinda sounds like a small job turning big. Two layers of 8 or 10 oz. cloth put on by hand is pretty easy. Use a plastic spreader to spread the epoxy and press it down to the ply, this will give you a good enough resin to cloth ratio. If you can get a bit of peel ply you can put it on carefully and smooth it out, works like a dream and you avoid extra fill coats. System 3 makes a super epoxy resin formulated for wetting out fiberglass cloth. Wets out fast and easy with out the usual fussing around with standard resins. Maybe one side per day? Hey take a break and go watch the waves! Have fun...g