Composite Chainplates

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mikereed100, Jun 6, 2009.

1. AndrewK

AndrewK Senior Member

Jim, this is what I am building, its a long way to go.

Andrew

Attached Files:

2. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

What a kick! Huge project. Have you built both hulls? Or just the one? Is it usual to build cat hulls on their sides? Did you design this yourself?

-jim lee

3. AndrewK

AndrewK Senior Member

Hi Jim,
    Both hulls done and faired to 400mm above waterline, rest of the hulls and hull decks faired up to the high build stage. Hulls joined with bridgedeck between the rear and mast transverse connecting beams. Rear aft face of the beam in place but not the mast beam. I had a leak some time after infusing the mast beam web, I will use this elsewhere and make a new one.
    Building the hulls split down the center line and transverse planking is common enough, I think it is a better alternative to longitudinal planking especially for a single operator.
    I did the sketches of what I wanted and Jon Sayer http://www.sayerdesign.com/ did the rest.

Andrew

4. mikereed100

mikereed100 Junior Member

Andrew,

Beautifull boat! Best of luck as the build progresses.

I ended up going with the CF as it was easy to find and for the amount I need, not too expensive. I'm still struggling with how to actually lay up the chainplates as I do not have a flat-sided hull with a hull-deck join but rather a gradual curve, so draping the fiber over both sides of the hull would be difficult. I may have to attach it to one side only with high density core replacing the honeycomb for 1 sq/meter in the vicinity. By the way, did you use a bushing in yours or did you just glass around the bolt?

Mike

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      177.6 KB
      Views:
  5. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

MikeReed, where in the world does one find room to build a boat in Santa Barbara? Last time I was there it seemed that space was at a premium.

-jim lee

6. AndrewK

AndrewK Senior Member

Mike, I do not see a problem having the CP's on your hulls if that is your preferred placement but I personally would not laminate to the outside skin alone. Also nothing wrong having them on a bulkhead or chain plate knee.
    Are your hulls already layed up? my recommendations depend on this.
    Yes you must have a bush, that is the tube I was referring to.

Cheers
    Andrew