18' baker customs, crack in hull...

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by 18bakercustoms, Jun 14, 2009.

1. 18bakercustoms

18bakercustoms New Member

hi everyone, i have been readin here for quite some time and i love this site- lots of great info and some amazing work here! i have done some minor glass work a number of times through the years as i have had a lot of boats, but nothing like the job that may be coming up if i buy this boat.

i am wanting to buy this old baker customs performance v hull and i know the floor is rotted- they even dropped another piece of plywood over the original floor so im sure they are both rotted, not just the top layer which i can see.. i am planning on ripping out the floors, checking stringers-- im planning on having to replace them as well and i want to add knee braces at the same time. the transom seems solid and does not budge at all.

well, i went to check compression on the motor yesterday cause i want to go through the engine, tune it up and sell it- i already have a killer v6 merc i am building that would be perfect for this hull!! so while checking out the hull again(easier spot to get to it) i saw a crack in the hull's bottom, about 4ft in front of the transom and about 18in to the right of the center pad- its right on a strake(or chine, cant remember which it is called). the crack is about 1/8inch wide and about 18inches long and it looks rotten right there..

everywhere else on the hull looks to be in good shape and im confident in the techniques to glass new stringers and floor(after reading pages and pages of rebuilds here!) but im kind of worried about the crack in the hull. i havent been able to find anything specifically handling a problem like this..

------ would i just be grinding it out to accept a few layers of glass with thickened epoxy, each layer getting a tad wider then the last? or would it be best to fix it from the inside-- i was thinking, after grinding the crack back, that i could put some piece of plastic on the outside to help keep the proper shape. then lay in thickened epoxy and some type of glass, sound correct?

if anyone has some info on how to fix something like this i would be most greatful-- not knowing the proper way to fix this crack has me worried and im hesitating to buy it now-- once i know exactly what to do for this crack then i will feel more confident buying the boat-- its a really good deal too. he's asking $600 for the boat, 140hp jonnie motor and trailer. im planning on building 2buckets for up front and a bench for the rear after i install new stringers and floor.. im thinking with how much more work it needs then he originally thought i will try to get it for like $300.. i know ill have some money into the hull but these old hulls are kind of scarce and it really is a beautiful boat!!
    oh, and the hull itself has some very nice custom striping(looks original) and with some compound and elbow grease it should looks beautiful again-- but im more concerned with having it be soild becuase i do NOT want to get spit out at 80mph!!

ok, sorry for the book- its great to finally be here and i would really appreciate any help you all can give me-- i would like to know how to fix the crack, what glass to use and then also any suggestions for the stringers as well..
    thank you very much for any input! --sean

2. 18bakercustoms

wow, so many people in these forums right now and no one has any advice for a rookie...
    would anyone that reads this please give me some advice? i was hoping for someone's input before i buy the boat--

is repairing a 1/8in by 18in crack a deal breaker for a boat that already needs a new floor and whatever else to go with it? im hoping its not much more to do since ill have the floor out anyways.. any input on the method and materials to fix the crack?

thank you to anyone kind enough to take the time to respond..

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This isn't a chat room, but a discussion forum, It's difficult to say without a photo or two to look at, but cracks are fairly easily handled. It sounds like it could be a few different things, can you post a picture?

4. 18bakercustoms

hi par, thank you for the tip-- i am very well informed with the discussion forums-- i have learned sooo much for this and many others as well...

i am very glad to hear from you that the crack is not much more compared to the already big project i am undertaking with this hull! my batteries were of course dead that day so i did not get the pics just yet..

i have them charged and ready so tomorrow evening i will be sure to get a few pics-- boy this is one beautiful hull, i hope it turns out to run as good as it looks!

thank you again for confirming my hopes about the crack- i know you add a lot of these forums and i am thankful you and all the others are so freely giving of their experience..
    hopefully with some pics i can get a specific plan of attack, well once i get the floor(s) out so we can all see whats going on in there! --sean

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.