Another trailer sailor to powerboat thread

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Chuck Losness, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Chuck Losness

Chuck Losness Senior Member

One of these days am going to have downsize from my beloved Gulfstar 37 to a smaller boat. Getting older does that to you. I thought that I had this downsizing planned out. I am always checking Craigslist for the boats that I consider suitable for what I want. In this browsing I ran across the Hunter 260 and Catalina 250. I like the interior layout of these boats. They have a better layout than the boats I have been considering.

One issue with converting a trailer sailor to power is fuel tank size. I want around 100 gallons of gas. Both the Hunter and the Catalina are water ballast boats. Got to thinking one day that instead of filling the tanks with water I could fill them with gas. Fuel tank size solved. The Hunter holds 250 gallons of water whereas the Catalina has 150 gallons of water. That would be way more fuel that I need. I understand that there would be some plumbing issues to work out. And ballast issues too. The ballast issues might be solved by dividing the water tanks into two compartments. One for fuel and one for water ballast.

This would be a power only boat. No sailing. Power would be a 9.9 hp high thrust outboard.

Would like to hear what you folks think are the pros and cons of this probably crazy idea of mine.

2. Blueknarr

Blueknarr Senior Member

A- sailboat usually make poor power boats.
    B- 100 gallons is way too much for a 9.9 hp. Fuel would spoil.
    C- gasoline will dissolve most water tanks

bajansailor and Rumars like this.
  3. Chuck Losness

I don't intend to use it like your typical go fast power boat. Speed is not the issue. Being able to be away from fuel docks for a long time is essential. My favorite cruising grounds are the Channel Islands off of California and the Sea of Cortez in Mexico. I am based in Morro Bay. Leave Morro Bay and the next fuel dock is in Santa Barbara. Around a 100 miles. The fuel docks in the Sea of Cortez are the same or further apart.

Your comment about fuel dissolving water tanks is important. I will have to look into what the water ballast tanks are made of. They are either fiberglass or some type of plastic.

Thanks for your response.

4. Chuck Losness

I can scratch a Hunter 260 off the list. Just learned that the water ballast tank is two parts. The bottom of the tank is part of the hull and the top is part of the interior liner. The two parts are sealed together with 5200.

5. Chuck Losness

I am going to bail on this idea. No need for further replies.

bajansailor likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.